Paint ridges showing through lining paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jhc1982, Apr 26, 2016.

1. jhc1982

jhc1982 New Member

Hi all,

Just renovating an old house and could do with some help regarding getting a decent finish on the walls.

I stripped off all the old wood chip paper that had been on there for decades. Under this was very old coats of paint. I didn't want to sand this down as it could have lead in it so just removed flakes and hung over with lining paper but now all of the patchy ridges are showing through the lining paper.

Any advice as to whether there is a way to remove ridges without stripping the paint? I.e., put some emulsion base coats on? I am assuming the answer is a no but worth asking.

2. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I would fill on top of lining paper, seal filler then re line.

Nothing worse then seeing those imperfections behind paper, equally nothing worse then seeing freshly lined walls surface filled then painted

jhc1982 likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Unfortunately some people tend to think that lining paper is a miracle cure for bad walls and negates a large portion of prep work needed before hanging................It doesn't

The paper tends to even out the wall surface but can shrink back tight into hollows after drying and even a small piece of grit on the wall surface will show under the paper like a boil about to burst !

Your right, emulsion wont cover the imperfections (may be some following debate on this point) Sure, a matt finish will help hide more than a sheen / silk finish, but, in certain lights, the painted surface will highlight imperfections more than prior to painting
    Put the emulsion on nice and thick, will temporarily hide some bits, but you will end up with a textured surface to the paint. Once all that water has evaporated from the paint, your left with a much thinner covering and I bet those annoying bits will be back on show

Post some pictures I recon, that may help others to decide on a way forward for you
    Also, what grade paper did you use.....something light weight, around 800, or heavy, 1200-1400

If the walls are really bad across the house, and you want a perfect finish, you may be better getting the walls skimmed

jhc1982 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

We need some photo's, as already mentioned, skimming is probabley the better option if the walls are really bad.

5. jhc1982

jhc1982 New Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I had a feeling this would happen. Serves me right for trying to cut corners. I have decided to strip the paint back to the plaster, which is in pretty good nick other than a few patch fills here and there. Going to be a ball ache though as like a moron I already sealed the plaster with the Dulux sealer which is glue based. Ah well. I will try using my paper steamer to help it.

Any other good tips on getting the old paint off quickly?

Thanks again.

6. jhc1982

jhc1982 New Member

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you want to seal powdery surfaces, use Everbuild 406 stablishing fluid,excellent product,used gallons of it over the years & gallons of it here sealing distemper ceilings & walls, best of all it's cheaper than the Dulux sealer.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/406-Stabilising-Solution

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Fill it out using Easi fill, sand smooth, seal with Bullseye 123 then line walls with Wallrock fibre liner.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. jhc1982

jhc1982 New Member

Thanks mate - ill give that a crack!