Painters straight edge

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jay459, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Just finished painting, pretty perfect job, although i feel i could benefit from a decent painters edge. Have seen a few but getting bad reviews, maybe they are just a gimmick but would be nice to get a decent painters edge to save having to mask up skirting board and architrave. Ive also went onto ceiling a tiny bit so would be great to get a decorators edge to avoid this...

Any recommendations?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never use them, prefer a quailty brush (Purdy in my case) a steady hand, & same technique as below, hasn't failed me in just over a quarter of a century.:eek:

P:S: I'm not a painter, so our painter Astramax will be along with his tips.:)

3. djjjuk

djjjuk New Member

I'm by no means an expert and not a painter by trade either but I tried one once and it created more mess (when you lift the edge up you can smear paint and it's also likely it will seep under the edge - your edge will probably be straighter than your wall/ceiling) so I decked that off, got a decent brush (Wooster silver tip 2.5 inch) learned how to load the brush and lay it off on the wall properly and never looked back (it did take a good few walls of redecoration though :D).
    One other thing, and sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs here but sanding the ceiling line helps massively also, as it gives the brush something to glide along. With bumps and divots it stops the brush flowing freely and that's where I found it impossible to keep a steady hand.

Good video post above, I spent ages watching that guy's videos over and over when starting out!

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thread should read 'Painters Steady Hand' .....comes with a lot of practise...Just hang on in there and of course a decent brush.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:):):)

And a quailty brush.:)

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Most people hate cutting in, but for me its the only part of decorating that I enjoy doing.
    As previously mentioned, use a quality brush with a decent calibre, a 2.5 is ideal.