Painting a metal garage door?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by MrsAteam, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MrsAteam

MrsAteam New Member

Hello all, just bought first house and want to paint the garage door. The paint on it is fine, no rust or flaking but its bright white and I want a darker colour. Do I just clean it and paint it or do strip it, undercoat it and paint it? Any advice and tips welcomed, including any paint recommendations.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wash door with sugar soap solution, rinse off with clean water, quick flick over with 120 grit and dust off, apply required undercoat for the chosen gloss colour and finish with gloss. Dulux Weathershield is a top choice and will last up to 8 years.

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I painted mine with ammunition paint (deep sax blue...inert ammunition) Lasted years. LOL :p

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

o_O I thought you were going to say you had it 'shot-blasted' on. ;)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Hi
    Can anyone help or advise me. I have never attempted a project like this before.I have a older, metal up and over garage door to deal with. This will be staying on to do the work. Paint seems to be on it firmly in parts some paint has chipped to the metal base in other parts. Some peeling off easily where it is chipped. No signs of
    undercoat or primer paint unless it is all the same colour. Very rusted around the edges. Finance is an issue so willing to do on a budget with time and elbow grease. Any instructions from start to finish with a method or products would be so very helpful and grateful for