Painting bare internal brickwork

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jun 28, 2014.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Is there a paint I can use for the interior bare brick walls on my garage? Obviously masonry paint would do it but that's much more expensive and it would be "indoors" anyway.

Thanks for any comments/advice.

diymostthings

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

spray it

3. diymostthings

Thanks - I have'nt got a spray gun though. I would roller the paint on probably but was looking for a type of paint to use that wasn't "masonry"

Thanks again

diymostthings

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A roller won't get into the mortar lines or the pores of the brick, you will need at least 3 coats to get a decent coverage. Buy or hire a compressor and spray gun.
    As for the paint, emulsion will be fine.

5. supertosh

supertosh Member

It is possible to flood the morters and brickwork with a roller, and then back-roll with an empty roller to lay it off. Although i do agree, spraying is the way to go.

6. Supra

Supra Member

That's absolute nonsense giving advice by telling someone to go and buy/hire a compressor just to paint the inside of a garage.

If you're on a tight budget which it appears that you are then use the roller, a brush and some emulsion.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you painted much brickwork Suppa?

8. DIY, is it brick or block? Block can be a sod to paint due top its rough texture - trying to get paint into them wee bits.

Basically, suck it and see. When I did the inside of my block garage walls, I tried a large brush, a masonry roller, and an airless spray gun.

The spray gun was best for getting the paint into every part of the rough block surface, but because the paint had to be thinned, it didn't fully obliterate the block colour when it dried, so needed a further coat. I think I'd gotten tired of the vibration and racket by then so used the roller.

As 'Tosh says, load it up well and shove it on. But you will likely find that runs will trickle out of the deeper bits, so keep an eye on it and roll over again or use a large brush.

If what you have is brick, so the surface ain't deeply knobbly, then a roller would be the simplest I guess. Have a brush handy too to get the paint into deeper bits...

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Never used an airless gun as I've always had a compressor but you can buy a compressed air spray gun for around £20 off our hosts.
    The hire costs I have just realised are horrendous, a compressor that costs £100 to buy is at least £45 a day to hire, robbing gets!
    You could buy a second hand one off ebay and then re-sell it or keep it and get some different air tools such as nailers or staplers if you do a lot of DIY.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is a trade off between getting the paint thin enough to spray and coverage but if you hadn't sprayed some paint into the pores the subsequent rollering wouldn't have looked as good.
    I hate painting, hate painting brick and hate spraying but I keep on having to to it and spraying is the easiest and quickest way.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You have to use a 'circular scrubbing' action, wider the brush the better.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

13. diymostthings

Thank you Supra. I suppose I could wet the brickwork with water first to help the paint sink in?

diymostthings

14. diymostthings

Well its brick and mortar - I wondered if it would help to soak the walls with water prior to applying the emulsion.
    Thanks for your giving me your experience.

diymostthings

15. diymostthings

Thanks for your replies Chippie - yes pennies are a bit sparse at the moment so I will politely decline the spraygun suggestion! Hopefully I can make a decent job with pre-wetted walls before applying emulsion.
    Thanks again

diymostthings

16. Ooooh, I wouldn't pre-wet the walls, DIY. If the surface is absorbent, then thin the first coat by whatever - 10-15%?

From what you say, your walls are not going to be too much of a problem - nothing like coarse block. So roll away...

And have a large brush handy too.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Was gonna say exactly the same as DA but he just beat me to it.....

Treat the bricks like a newly plastered wall and mist coat 1st if you think the bricks are gonna be thirsty

Use a long pile roller and this will get into the mortar lines easy

Roll slowish to avoid too much splatter - especially with the thinner mist coat

But lets remember, this is a garage wall so we aint looking for a Picasso surely ? :D

18. painted a lot of rough masonry surfaces with masonry paint a 4 inch brush in small circles with a decent amount of paint on it ought to get the job done

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you are anywhere near Hitchin you can borrow my gear for free.