Painting Concrete Blocks and re-painting old painted bricks

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by another amateur, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Advice please on a primer for concrete blocks. Is it necessary or desirable.

Also existing previously painted brick garden wall needs repainting as most of the paint has flaked-off showing bare-brick and needs re-pointing first. Advice please.

TIA

William

2. No need for primer just make sure the wall is clean (ish) and dry and use a good exterior masonry paint like Dulux trade weathershield same for the brick wall remove the flakey paint and any green mould etc then re-point and then paint when the mortar is dry hope this helps

3. That probably answers why I've struggled to find primers for concrete/brick. Thanks

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the surface is flakey,badly weathered wouldn't you use a coat of stabilishing solution first like Everbuild 406 to give you a good base for the masonry paint.

5. i only tend to use stabilising solution on dusty crumbly rendered walls, as i said any flakey/loose material wants removing first

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Of course you would remove, or brush loose material first, but flakey isn't really the right word to use, but any other suitable word has eluded me at the moment.:(