Painting galvenised up & over garage door

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by 223mike clarke, Aug 4, 2014.

1. 223mike clarke

223mike clarke New Member

Have just removed all peeling paint from good condition galvanised door. I think the mistake I made was painting it last year using a car spray grey primer. This doesn't appear to have stuck to the galvanised (exterior) surface. There is no rust - can someone please advise on suitable primer (if needed) I don't want to do it all again next year.

thelockman likes this.
  2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

an etch primer is required, plenty suitable, Zinsser do a good one - altavista it - just don't use anything that says Hammerite on it

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser Bullseye 123 is the one to use, rated as excellent over galvanised surface.

4. 223mike clarke

Thanks Sean for that - Zinsser is confirmed by another member. Yes, I've not had results I'd have expected from Hammerite.
    Sorry for the delay in replying - been mending fences.

5. 223mike clarke

Thanks for the recommendation - will be using that as soon as I can get started

6. 223mike clarke

Thanks to Sean-ork and yourself for the replies - have now got a tin - did'nt realise that it was available at such reasonable cost at my local Screwfix store. Surprised that there are no prep. instructions on the tin, other than the usual stir required. I use sugar-soap on timber - would that be o.k. on galvanised metal - or should I brush it straight onto the scraped off surface. Thanks in advance, when it stops raining I'll get started.
    Mike 223