Painting kitchen cabinets?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ROBE meen, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ROBE meen

ROBE meen New Member

I was thinking of painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. How do I prepare the wood to be painted? Can I lightly sand them or does the old finish need to be completely stripped off? Also, what type of paint is best...oil, latex, flat, satin, gloss?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Robe, your doors only need to be grease and dirt free, lightly sanded for a key, and a decent primer like Zinsser (I think it's called) used.

As for finish, what are you going to use to apply the paint - brush, roller, pad or spray?

If you want a gloss finish, I suspect you'll need to spray it to get a decent smooth finish that won't look hellish, and the finish on the door surface will need to be spot-on flat first.

I'd suggest you go 'satinwood'/eggshell finish instead, as this tends to look more 'right' on cabinet doors, I think. You can use oil or water-based, with oil being more durable - but it will 'yellow'...