Painting over nail heads

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Little Miss DIY, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Little Miss DIY

Little Miss DIY New Member

Hi,

I'm painting a wall that has a couple of visible nail heads. Even though the nails are flush with the wall and not protruding i'm unable to hide them. Is there something I can treat them with to prevent the paint from "shrinking" upon contact

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heelllooo l m d
    have the nails got small or large heads
    could you drive them in a bit and fill in the holes!!

what sort of wall is it [plaster board /brick ect]

big all

3. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

You need to get those nail heads below the surface and then covered over with filler (Polyfilla et al).

In this situation your best best might be to pull the nails out and replace with a comparable sized countersunk woodscrew - galvanised so that it won't rust on you. Then you can drive that below the surface a little and cover over.

Gotcher

4. Little Miss DIY

They're small headed nails and I can't knock 'em in any further and they're too close to a corner to pull out. ???

5. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

They're small headed nails and I can't knock 'em in
    any further and they're too close to a corner to pull
    out. ???

Hmm, interesting little problems like this crop up all the time but there's never a simple solution which solves all situations.

I suppose you might be able to drive a screwdriver blade under the nail head and use that to lever the nail out? Don't do this with a decent screwdriver though - they object to such rough treatment.

Sorry I can't come up with other suggestions though.

Gotcher

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

have you got a nail punch!!!![they cost about £2]
    or a large nail you take the large nail [hopfully 4 inch]
    place head on something solid [brick concrete ect]
    hit the point till flat then carefully place flat on nail
    head drive in about 3 mm then fill

good clouting

big all

7. Little Miss DIY

Thanks B.A,

I've just bought one, hope that'll do the job! Forgot to mention, it's a plasterboard wall.

8. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

if you canot punch them try aluminum paint it hides a multitude of sins.(SFD P100 code 58951)

9. Dewy

Dewy New Member

If its just nail heads in plasterboard, pull them out & fill the holes.
    If they are holding something then use a metal primer on them so they hold the paint.

10. purplerain

purplerain New Member

Hi,
    It you cant get the nails out then try to knock them in as far as you can. after filling the holes paint over with gloss paint this should act as a barrier.
    hope that helps.
    Dee