Painting over stains and paste on wallpaper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Benno1875, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Hello

I'm after some advice please.

I let a property and recently there was a leak which penetrated the wall from the outside. The leak is sorted and the walls have dried out, the brickwork has been damp proofed and repointed so all is well other than my tenants rehung the wallpaper that fell off when the walls were wet. They have done so successfully but have left a lot of wallpaper paste residue on the paper. The wallpaper is painted lining paper and I have tried to apply another coat of emulsion but cannot 'blank out' the residue. I am having a similar issue with some brown marks that have been left on the wallpaper by the leak. Expense, time and effort wise, I want to avoid replacing the wallpaper. Does anyone have any tips for how to paint over the paste residue and the stains? Many thanks in advance.

thelockman likes this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So you want a cheap solution.................paint over the affected area with an oil based undercoat and when dry apply a second coat, again let dry and then refinish with your chosen colour paint.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely any paint isn't going to stay on paste residue?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. supertosh

supertosh Member

Give a coat of gloss or UC over the stained area, let dry and paint.
    It will if you scrub gloss in to the paste area. Done it a cpl of times.

5. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Thanks all. The undercoat trick worked a treat.

6. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

I can't believe they hung the same paper back on the wall. !!!!!!