Paiting over Crown Metallic Emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Riverland, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Riverland

Riverland New Member

I'm not sure if there's anything special I should do to cover it, hoping someone here with experience can tell me. Wary of starting and finding out too late that this paint is a law unto itself..;) It's time to repaint a teen bedroom that used to be gold, and now wants to be something more grown up.

Any experience here to share?
    Thankyou!

2. supertosh

supertosh Member

Simply emulsion over with whatever colour. Or if unsure of any reaction, paint a test patch behind a cupboard or somewhere normally hidden. Emulsion is emulsion and will cover as long as you build up enough coats. :)

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It is recommended to paint over metallic emulsion with an oil based primer to seal the metallic particles within the emulsion paint this will aid adhesion when painting over with any new emulsion paint.

4. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Well, I like your answer supertosh. I've decided to lightly sand the stuff, and buy a high coverage emulsion in white to slap on and hope it sticks.

I'm very dubious about painting an entire room, a bedroom, with oil based primer.

Might phone Crown to check.. Don't want seepage, it's true.

Any tips for which 'one coat' type thing is the best?

5. supertosh

supertosh Member

There is no such thing as "one coat" that does what it says on the tin. Btw, keep away from Crown, it is rubbish paint. Look towards Dulux or Johnston's.

6. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Hi supertosh, I just bought the crown trade emulsion, before seeing your post. Feel very uuuuuuurrrgghh as half the room is now painted in "rubbish paint".

Btw, for anyone else who needs the info, Crown advice was : lightly sand and 2 coats of emulsion should cover the Metallic paint. We did two coats white emulsion before putting rubbish paint on top, and it's covered, at last.

7. supertosh

supertosh Member

Ive emulsiond over metallic a number of times without any probs whatsoever. I forgot to mention though that the walls should be sanded - but then that is something i always do as a matter of habit even when walls are in prime condition. Anyway, no worries about applying crown, just keep applying coats until you are happy with the end result. Good Luck.