Part P again, I can't see mine being the last post somehow!!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ancient Mariner, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner New Member

I asked the Institute of Incorporated Engineers these questions last week regarding Part P and so far it's gone quiet....

1. An Electric Cooker, located in a Kitchen - the first time a cooker is connected in this location.

Whilst obviously the initial installation of a cooker circuit from the distribution panel to the cooker switch would come under Part P, does Part P apply to the connection between the cooker switch and the cooker? Whilst this may be thought of as Minor Work - where Part P does not apply, surely as the location is a Kitchen then Part P will be applicable. The point I would make here is that this is fixed wiring, requiring tools to fix and that the circuit will be protected by a device of at least 32 amp, possibly 40amp.

2. An Electric Cooker, located in a Kitchen - when a cooker is disconnected, removed and another or the original cooker repaired is refitted, possibly involving the replacement of the cable between the cooker and the cooker switch.

Otherwise exactly the same scenario as above. I am looking at this from the perspective of a service Engineer to repair/replace the cooker.

What do you think???

2. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Don't expect any official answers to your questions 'cos you won't get any. Only when something goes wrong, then the court decides.

In the meantime, you should have a plausible excuse if you don't notify and you can't self-certify.

The definition of an electrical installation in the BC regs is "For the purposes of Building Regulations an electrical installation means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment"

Question is then, what's not "fixed"? It can only mean fixed to the building, so is a cooker fixed?

We can get some indication of what's fixed from what items Customs & Excise allow VAT to be recovered on in the case of a self-build. The principle they are working to is that VAT is recoverable on fixed equipment, but not on that which is not fixed. The non-fixable equipment is listed. It includes:

Cookers
    Dishwashers
    Waste disposers

So you have a good excuse to carry on as before.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well I am prepared to answer your question OFFICIALLY!

For gods sake man connecting up a cooker to an existing cooker circuit is simply wiring up AN APPLIANCE! Do you honestly think that Part P is intended to cater for this. BS7671 and the new law bringing electrical WIRING in to the fray does not cover the installation of cookers...or TV's to a ring main...nor gold fish bowl pumps to a socket...etc etc.

Err to answer question 1, NO! (BTW asking the institution of incorporated engineers won't help you as they are'nt electricians or builing controllers. Don't expect them to answer.

2. See 1.

Get a grip Mr service engineer you are getting rather carried away...

UP

4. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Greetings Roy - long time no hear mate!

Looks like somethings biting your todger mate!

TT

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi TT

Just amazed at how far people are prepared to stretch Part P. How's you my friend?

UP

6. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Not too bad mate - just trying to stay afloat on the surface with the rest of the anti-part p scum!

I feel well burdened with all this stupid legislation, the damn country's going to the dogs!

TT

7. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

'Going' TT?

RR

8. maxbiaggi

maxbiaggi New Member

I've just finished rewiring my house myself, just the consumer unit left to do now. If I come to sell the house in years to come, how does one prove the work was complete before 31st December 2004? A receipt for a consumer unit doesn't necessarily prove that it was installed by the cut off date, it could be May 2005 before I get round to connecting it up, after all?

9. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

A reciept doesn't prove when you installed the equipment. You have until March 2005 to install it as that's the cut off date which the government has set.

However, nobody is ever going to know any different and if you said it was installed in 2004 before all this Part P business came about, and threw the reciept in the bin then it would be very difficult to prove you wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway. Just get it done and don't worry about it.

Andy

10. seylectric

seylectric New Member

"how does one prove the work was complete before 31st December 2004?"

I think you will find that the onus is on the authorities to prove that it wasn't. Since there is no proof, they will have no case.

11. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Really dont worry about timing mate.

One factor that will be used will be change of colour to give 'some indication' of time. Since the colour change became effective quite a while back and that you are still able to buy the old colours they will be 'allowing' several years tolerance - until 2006 coz by them all old colours will be gone and no longer available and only new colours will be available. I mean we are talking LONG TERM here lol.

Too much worry an concern about this Part p nonsense, it aint THAT bad guys.

RR

12. Beanzy

Beanzy New Member

I don't post much on here but I thought this may help clarify how PartP will be implemented on the ground.

The following links to a PDF I have made of the DSA guidance sent out to all LABCBs on Tuesday 14th pm. It's missing a check-list I couldn't transfer/format properly, but the rest is complete.

Gives the hymn book the LABCBs are all supposed to sing from, so it's the best info I've found yet.

http://www.lxsouth.co.uk/dsa-partp.pdf