Part P

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flateric, Aug 6, 2014.

1. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I have fitted 15 outside lights to 6 flats stairwells and walkway all outdoors , independent power supply new consumer unit 2 x rcbo's photocell timer relay etc. Is it notifiable or not ??????????

FatHands likes this.
  2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yep!

3. flateric

Ta! :)

FatHands likes this.
  4. flateric

This must be the shortest thread yet :D

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I didn't think Part P was operational within the commercial clime

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's not just Part P that needs notifying though, is it?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Correct JP.

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Burning question is............is this classed as commercial or domestic.........who goes?....you decide.........

10. flateric

Notifiable as it is a communal area

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

How do you work that out Flat? surely just because the area is classed as communal this doesn't automatically put it under Part P? - myself I think that the amount of work done in the communal areas, and bearing in mind that this has nothing to do with the dwellings proper classes it as commercial (maybe industrial covers this also) thus the whole thing has nothing to do with Part P remits whatsoever. I'm not saying I'm correct, but its just my slant on the matter.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You have a point there JP but I suppose if they're flats the communal areas could still be classed as "domestic" so therefore subject to part P rules? The only work I've ever done in these areas has been replacing like for like light fittings etc.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I see what you mean Sen - beings as it is in a domestic flat situation then maybe yes or maybe no, and bearing in mind that there are 6 flats (probably all converted from house to flats) The thing I was thinking of is you know the tower blocks which are loaded with flats, then surely these must be classed as commercial? I mean you are looking at hundreds of flats within one main unit, and obviously these would all be wired commercially. I suppose you cant really compare the two tbqh.

14. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Its pretty straight forward and has nothing to do with the type of premises, IE Flats, Houses, Care homes ect.

a dwelling is pretty much anywhere someone could Live, Full house, self contained annex, small flat, ect ect. So for example a building consisting of a shop downstairs and flat above supplying both properties from a single meter, work carried out in the shop that falls under Part P would need to be registered. However if the shop and Flat were supplied from two separate metered supplies then work carried out in the shop would not fall under part P.

Same with this communal area, if the landlords supply / communal supply was a separate metered supply independent of the flats then no it doesnt require part P, But if it is metered from the same supply as the flats then it would.

15. flateric

Its 6 shops 6 flats above 2 covered stairwells an open walkway each flat has a small terraced area fenced and gated as you come of the gates there is a 4 foot wall a 3 foot away that runs the full length from the two end stairwells ........ Excuse the lack of punctuation I just couldn't be a***d. :) Checked with NAPIT they were adamant it was notifiable

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

NICEIC always say if in doubt notify anyway, for what it costs you might just as well do it.

17. flateric

NAPIT say ask and they will tell you :)

18. flateric

I could never get an answer of the NIC :) They never picked up

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:rolleyes:

Hmmmm what some 5hrs without any more inputs on the Part P..