Partition Walls For Shower depth

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by James McNulty, Jul 20, 2015.

1. James McNulty

James McNulty New Member

HI,

I am refitting my on-suite and hopefully this doesn't come across as a "daft" question.

I am installing a 1200x800 shower tray in a room 1700 wide. I need to create a partition wall.

I will be using cement boards against a timber frame but wondering what depth the wall needs to be. if i make the frame 800 deep, when i add the board+tile+adhesive it will stick out further than the width of the shower tray.

Just wondering what other people have done in this situation?

Thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Depends on how you want it to look. Are tiles going straight to floor on other side or is there skirting etc?

One way is to get your plaster board flush with the front of the tray. This will allow a tile trim to be used for the corner from floor to ceiling and create a neat looking transition from tray to wall.

Lots of ways to do it, depending on what's already there.

3. James McNulty

James McNulty New Member

Thanks for this.

No skirting so will be floor to ceiling tiles.

I think i know what you mean, in effect the depth of the wall will be one tile thicker than shower tray?

4. Or less, depending on which dimension you are asking. The tile should come down onto the tray.

If you are building 'niches' into the new partition, it's best to slope the shelf slightly towards the open end so any water drips off.

Good luck.

CGN likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yess(including tile). Your shower tray is 800, lets say your board is 12, so your stud work will be 788 wide assuming you'll board the face of the stud work(which I would). That way, your stud work and board will be flush with the front of the tray and you'll be able to plant a tile trim on flat that'll cover the edge of the internal tiling and 'lip' over the front of the tray. The front face of your tiles (edge of stud wall) will sit one tile thickness past tray.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Btw, will you have a removable 'skirt' on the tray to get access to pipe work? If so you may want to tweak it a few mills here and there to take that into account.

7. James McNulty

James McNulty New Member

Thank you for your comments. I feel a busy weekend coming.

James