Patio Door Rollers Broken

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by stitch-up, Mar 20, 2017.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Hi All

Our sliding patio door no longer slides :( I think the rollers have 'squared off' or jammed. The door is very heavy and now has to be lifted to open & close.

This is a picture of one of the rollers. Can someone tell me:

1. How is this roller removed? I have taken out the two screw (arrowed) but it's either a very tight fit or I'm not pushing/levering in the right place!

2. What type of roller is this? What should I be asking/looking for?

3. Any tips :)
    upload_2017-3-20_22-5-47.png

Thanks very much

John

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Thanks for the reply Liab :)

Yes, you're right, it's an old style aluminium patio door with a large glass area and it does weigh a ton!!

Do you recall how you managed to remove these rollers? We're 'selling up' so would prefer to fix than replace the door!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I couldn't get them out, totally corroded in, I ended up damaging the recess / frame, so I replaced patio doors with new lighter model, which also had better locking system, the old patio door had a little lever on lock/handle inside you flicked to lock doors, it was a bit iffy & not secure.
    Alway found the old rollers would get jammed with crud which collect in the track.

5. Point of no return.

Sounds like you have got to be prepared to butcher it out, hoping for not too much damage, and then hope you can repair.

Not a job to be up against the clock with.

6. First try an impact driver to release the screws.

If this fails, your only other solution would I think be to drill out that screw, tap out the hole and fit a slightly larger on on refit.

You might be lucky - if you are extremely careful and use top-quality drill bits - and manage to drill out the shaft of that screw leaving only the embedded thread which can then be removed using a tap, so's you could use the same size screws again.

There's a chance that the X of the screwhead will guide your drill right down the middle, but use the best bits - not sure what they are tho'...

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He can remove the screws,if you read OP's post,put your specs on might be clearer:p, it's the actual roller assembly which is hard/impossible to remove.
    The roller assembly goes in at a slight angle at first, then drops into place & secure wuth the two screws.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Deleted member 164349 likes this.