Patio high verses Patio Doors

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Neehawks1976, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Neehawks1976

Neehawks1976 New Member

Hi,

I've have bifold doors fitted and they sit below the damp course. On the outside the patio which is about to be laid will be around 150mm below the damp course with the bifolds being around 1 brick above.

My issue is i'm unsure of the regs regarding this, I believe the patio will be fine even though it is up against the wall because it's 150mm before the DC. However will i need to install an ACO drainage channel where the bifold is or will pulling the slabs away and filling with stone meet regs. On that point should i leave a void all around and not put the slabs up against the house?

Although this work is not being assessed by the building inspector other parts of the build will be and i'm scared he will pick up something here and he is a pain.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

How can the doors sit below the DPC?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probabaly remove the course or two of bricks below dpc, so threshhold on bifold doors sit flush with finish floor level in room.

They should have used a threshold cavity tray.

upload_2017-7-13_12-2-57.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Wondered how modern houses get to have their bifold doors/floor level and seamless with the patio outside. Can't help thinking that rain splashback and puddling can be a problem if not done right, or even if it is done right.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

We had a thread on this last year were the water ran from the balcony, under the patio door & into the room, peep ended up lifting suspended floor because of the water.
    All could have been prevented by fitting a cavity tray, in the end they tanked the area with grp to solve problem.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  7. Neehawks1976

Neehawks1976 New Member

Thanks for the advice so far. If the remaining areas are below the DPC do i need drainage or a gap between patio and wall. Or because it's an opening the only area that require drainage is around the threshold?