pebbledash buttercoat mix

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by drill driver, Sep 5, 2006.

1. drill driver

drill driver New Member

gents.what is the correct mix for a buttercoat onto which pebbledash is thrown.i have done plenty of fining down but never dashed before.Also what is the best sequence to apply the dash.i was planning on getting a fairly flat scratch coat,allow to dry,apply the buttercoat over a small section,dash, add some more muck,dash etc.is it fairly easy to achieve an even spread of dash or is an aqquired skill.I plan to do the back first in case i **** it up.

2. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

4-1 with waterproofer and 5-1-1(lime) only put on what you can handle.

with the scratch lay it on and put a baton over it to take the high points out.

the top coat should lay on flat depending on your plastering skills

3. drill driver

drill driver New Member

Ta nearn.My ruling off technique is up to scratch(no pun intended).I`ve been told to only put a `good` shovelful of lime in plus plasterciser/waterproofer.others say no plasticiser just one full measure of lime.Also to thoroughly wet the wall down more than usual.I may just bottle out of this job but i`m keen to do dashing as it`s the only aspect i haven`t acheived yet.i am confident/proficient in all other aspects.How do you attain an even spread of dash?Do i throw it on flat or at an angle to the wall.i guess it may be a case of do it and learn.i don`t want to do a crappy job though.

4. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

hiya
    don't go to mad with the ruling just the high spots.

I only put lime in the mix not for its plasterciser properties but for lighting the render. Especially when am doing black and white pebble because you have to use white cement and the lime lightens it up a treat. So I use a shovel of lime in the mix and plastericiser.

The top coat only needs to be as thick as the pebbles and no thicker.

Use buckets with a lip on the top so you can get your fingers in to hold it, because you cant use the handle it gets in the way of your paddle. Only put one layer of pebbles onto your paddle not heaped up because they end up on the floor. you want to throw the pebbles square on and not up or down or from side to side . The technique you need is a flick of the wrist I cant really say it in words.

Also lay a bit on and when your ready to dash put a piece of visqueen down to catch the peddle and use the pebble court on the back of the building.