Peeled ceiling paint.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by wizwoz, Nov 7, 2015.

1. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Hello. I decided to paint a bedroom ceiling; Half way through, the original paint began peeling off onto my roller. Suffice to say the lot came down. What's left is a chalky dust residue over the original plaster.
    On a recent similar thread it was advised to apply a stabilising solution prior to repainting.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=148

I notice the write up says "penetrates dusty/chalky surfaces to leave a stable sound base for decoration with paint". So, do I have to wash the dust off with eg. vinegar soap or will the solution take care of it??
    Or try something completely different?

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Highly recommended Everbuild 406,use litres of it.

No, make good any holes,cracks then just make sure ceiling is clean of loose flakey bits, you might find you will need two coats, as first coat will most likely soak in.
    Wear eye protection when applying the liquid, allow each coat to dry throughly between coats, then you can paint ceiling, no need to water down emulsion.

Don't know where you are, but look around & you can get Everbuild 406 for around £9 a can.

wizwoz likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

After I filled & rub down holes, & removed flaky bits I do give ceiling a hoover to remove any bits I've missed before using Everbuild 406.:)

4. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Many thanks KIAB., The ceiling is good with no holes/cracks. It's the chalk dust that's concerning me. I don't relish washing the whole ceiling...

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have always removed distemper/ceilingite by washing it completely off with hot water with a splash of fairy liquid, let dry and apply one mist coat and two full coats of emulsion. you could use a sponge floor mop.

wizwoz likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That didn't work here.:(

Two ceilings blistered, ended striping back again, so then use EB406 on those two ceiling, got prefect ceilings now, & all other ceilings plus hallway & dinning room walls.

wizwoz likes this.
  7. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and wash it down with vinegar soap, then solution.
    Cheapest I can source locally for stabilising sol. is around £18. Spoke to a mate of mine earlier and he said an old boy (decorator) had told him to use wood primer..did the same for a fraction of the cost. Any thoughts on that?
    Thanks for your input. Appreciated.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where are you.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Any primer will do as long as it is an oil based paint, Albany Primer Sealer from Brewers is ideal.

wizwoz likes this.
  10. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Derby.