Persistent damp/mould on brand new ceiling. Please help.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Superv8, Dec 9, 2016.

1. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Malc, I was trying to be diplomatic. (which makes a change for me)

2. Superv8

Superv8 New Member

That's definitely a good idea. Funny how you don't notice the obvious until someone mentions it! The ceiling extractor/ light come to think of it isn't very powerful. Although the insulation seems to have remedied the problem, an inline fan would contribute a lot. I think at the time I couldn't find an inline fan combined with a led light, so went with form over function.. perhaps I can disable my existing fan and combine it with an inline fan?

Hopefully Masterdiy with the addition of added insulation and an inline fan I can get away with leaving the wall extractor as is, fingers crossed.. (on a side note the electric shower is rarely used, only for emergency should the boiler play up).

3. Where does the existing extractor vent to - is there a vent in the eaves or though the roof tiles?

If you fit another extractor - as you should - where will that one vent to? Do you have any options other than using the existing external vent?

4. Superv8

Superv8 New Member

The ceiling extractor is vented down the eave to the soffit and wall extractor to the other side of the wall.

You're suggesting I should have a third extractor?? Isn't that overkill? The lack of insulation was the root cause of all the damp problems, having rectified that all thankfully seems well. MalcyB mentioned an inline extractor would help a great deal as my current one: https://fans4less.co.uk/ledslktc-manrose-4-100mm-led-fan-kit.html seems a tad underwhelming for a monsoon shower head as the steam tends to linger as opposed to being vacuumed.

5. My apologies - I'd misread some posts and wrongly gathered that all you currently had was an asthmatic wall-mounted jobbie.

If you also have a ceiling fan that is doing the business, then that's fine :)