Pipe Cutter

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pollowick, May 25, 2017.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I need to make two cuts in a hard to access 22mm pipe and my normal cutter is way too big. I don't fancy spending £20 on a Monument or Rothenberger cutter just for those.

SF have these at £2.99 each ... just wondering if anyone has tried them out? They look OK-ish and reviews are variable.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tube-cutter-3-28mm/49428
    [​IMG]

Or should I just use my Fein MultiMaster or a hack saw?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

they are OK for copper ,diy use.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I prefer Fast Kut cutters from TS, easier to grip & turn if in a tight space,

upload_2017-5-25_9-56-0.jpeg

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Used a multitool yesterday to cut pipe, not a clean cut and leaves the pipe with burr and cant push fitting on without filing around the edges but would have been difficult to get a cutter in.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Pollowick

I can deburr easily enough - inside and out. It will have end-feed solder fittings so being totally square and clean is not to much of an issue.

6. If you have room to spin it around, then it will do the job for you - no question.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Will do the job. Once you have an indentation you'll be ok. Don't tighten down too much for each revolution as difficult to get leverage!

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You're gonna get that in a hard to access place?

Doall likes this.
  9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Use one of those regularly for the 8mm tube when installing a gas fire not worth the effort on 15mm though

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes should be fine with the multi tool, tried a cut on an offcut. Just need to make sure it is squarish and debured on both in and out.

11. If you have room to spin it around, then it will do the job for you - no question.

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I had a similar situation where a multi-tool (Fein in my case) was my only option without creating a mountain of remedial work otherwise. It was one of those occasions where you justify the purchase of the tool on these grounds alone and wondered how you ever managed without one. The thing is I still come across situations where the multi-tool is the best solution and have even added a battery one to my Milwaukee kit bag just for where the job is quicker to do that than plug the Fein in. They have their limitations of course and if you cannot hold the work piece firmly it will just get vibrated to death without any other result. If I was asked what general purpose power tool to buy (other than a drill) I think this would be it.

Jitender likes this.
  13. Pollowick

Mentioned it to a friend last night - he rarely touches plumbing and he said "I've got one of those" and as he got it from the box he said "I have a set of these too", the round automatic ones including a 22mm. Both will fit, so I will try the pair and see how the little cheap one fares in comparison.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If the space is really confined. You can resort to a wire saw. Wire saws will cut through almost anything wood, metal, bone etc.

upload_2017-5-28_13-49-50.png

15. Pollowick

Not quite that desperate!

KIAB likes this.
  16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:)

The other thing you could try is an angle grinder with a worn down where the diameter is smaller