Pipes outside the wall what they are?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PJ PJ, Aug 8, 2016.

1. PJ PJ

PJ PJ New Member

Hello,

I have two T pipes in the outside wall of my terrace house. There are located between ground floor and first floor (somewhere in the middle of the building). They're probably PVC (like on the picture attached).

Does anybody have any idea what they are?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    PJ

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Vent/drain pipes for something, maybe condensate /boiler.

3. PJ PJ

PJ PJ New Member

Thanks KIAB. Would it be ok to remove it? How can I find out more about what they are and if I need it?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do you have a gas boiler on 1st floor, if so they are needed.
    What's the lagged pipe.

Wouldn't think their toilet overflow pipes, a bit posh.

5. PJ PJ

PJ PJ New Member

Thanks for getting back KIAB.

Gas boiler is on the other side of the house in the kitchen on the ground floor so I don't think it is related to this. The closest rooms are living room on the ground floor and bedroom on the first floor.

I don't know what this lagged pipe is but there are similar two pipes on the other house without this lagged pipe so I don't think they're related.

Could this have anything to do with walls or something? I'm quite desperate to figure it out.

Thanks again for help.

Thanks,
    PJ

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

there overflow type pipes , the tee stops the wind blowing in!

7. PJ PJ

PJ PJ New Member

Thanks Nigel. Any idea overflow for what it might be?

8. PJ PJ

PJ PJ New Member

Could this be from an old water tank system installed a long time ago in the loft (it doesn't exist anymore)?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Normally any overflow pipe in the loft ran out under the eaves.

10. PJ PJ

PJ PJ New Member

Could this be some sort of ventilation, like sub floor ventilation or because of the nature of the pipes it is impossible?

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

no! cant know that its ur house youll have to ave an investigation, bearing in mind what ppl have said on here.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could be air admittance pipes for stopping syphoning of U-bends!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Probably the pipes are indeed overflows,the tee's stop draughts blowing in and causing any water in the pipes to freeze and block the overflow.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Overflow pipes!:eek::p

That's why I thought condensate pipes for boiler.

15. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Possibly,there was something years ago about overflows dripping slightly and the water freezing in the pipe,meaning that if if blocked there was a possibility of the water ending up in the house.I remember one plumbing article many years ago that advocated using condoms on overflows!
    It worked like this, "stretch out the condom then insert into the overflow pipe roll the open end back slightly over outside of pipe and secure with tape,this stops cold air entering pipe and in the event of an overflow the condom will be pushed out of the pipe and eventually burst,thereby giving an indication that an overflow has occurred".
    Never used it myself,it wasn't too clear on wether you used ordinary ones or ribbed or flavoured.lol

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Condoms, they were recommend to me by a old plumber to use on overflow pipes must be 30-35 years ago.:eek:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    philthespark likes this.