Pitting in a solid surface wortop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by samtomcharlie, May 19, 2016.

1. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

I have a newly installed solid surface worktop - the one where glass and shell is basically mixed with cement and layered onto chipboard. one piece has now Pin holes all over it . the manufacturer has said this is not uncommon as holes are in the mix which do not all vibrate out (like when vibrating concrete)- when you final sand the surface (600 grit) the pinholes can appear. I wouldn't have bought it if I would have know but now have a sink piece full of them - how can they be deemed to be a clean kitchen surface when full of holes?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not fit for purpose, in my opinion manufacturer should replace it.

3. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Any ideas on how you take on a manufacturer? -they have been ignoring calls until I mentioned their MD by name I have their "account manager " calling me this afternoon - if he does

4. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Trading standards, "all goods shall be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose for which they are sold". Sale of goods act,now pinholes in a worktop are a harbouring place for germs and therefore render the worktop unfit for purpose,the key phrase in legal terms is the bit about being fit for the purpose for which they are sold and this is where people come unstuck.
    If you buy a drill and it says maximum in masonary 28 mm and you use it for drilling 40 mm holes all the time and it breaks then tough,it wasn't designed for that purpose and the onus is on you because you bought an unsuitable machine,however if that same machine failed and was only drilling 16mm holes then the onus is on the manufacturer as it is clearly not fit for purpose,same with diy tools being used for work,they are not designed for it,so any warranty is voided.In your case however,you have bought something and are using it for the purpose of which it was designed and sold,in which case I see no issue with getting a refund or replacement,provided of course that you have followed the manufacturers instructions regarding preparation of the surface prior to use and used any materials they recommended.

5. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Had a quality team member from their company visit - his quote was "not uncommon" - I am waiting for the written report.

I actually got them out for the sink breaking away from the substrate - they reckon I got water down the tap hole - again this was completely sealed to the bottom with silicone as per instructions - they reckon water got down the tap hole and "touched the paper at the bottom which then soaked back up to burst the chipboard - seems very unlikely to me as it's only been in a couple of months . they claim a "flattened seal on the tap is the cause. - All I want is a replacement piece but they have an excuse for everything. The pinhole was just a "by the way " comment as he was here. but the more I think about it all the more I think they are just trying to ignore me.
    Other than that it's perfect!

6. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Just to confirm - I used the kit sent from the manufacturer to prep the surface - just followed their rules to the letter

7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Keep on at them,it may take a while,I got involved with a fitted kitchen last year,a well known kitchen company fitted a kitchen for a lady and there was loads of things wrong with it,they tried every trick in the book to avoid responsibility,"the floor not being level is the reason your cupboards don't line up",what about the adjusters on the feet? "the pipes to the sink where in the way so we had to fit dishwasher in wrong place",why didn't you move them? they had an answer for everything,well that's what they thought,'til I got involved,"who put the isolator in for the cooker"? I asked "we did" came the reply,"well in that case you're stuffed because it's right above the cooker" I replied, "yes well there was nowhere else to put it". "I don,t care,it's against the wiring regs".Finally we had them,they gave her the choice of letting them have a go at putting the faults right(3rd attempt) or 5k off the bill and get someone else to sort it,she took the 5k.
    sometimes these people think if they come up with enough excuses you'll get bored and walk away,don't! keep pushing until you get it sorted.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always small claim courts as a last result.

Where is our legal peep DA.:)

philthespark likes this.
  9. Hi Sam. Or Tom. Or Charlie.

What make is this top? Maia for example?

It does sound wrong - one of the basic requirements of a worktop is that it's hygienic and easy to clean. A 'porous' top is hardly that.

But first we need to make certain it is as you say, and that there isn't a solution to it like a wipe-on coating that's part of the process.

Make, please?

10. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Hello Devil

The Make is Wilsonart - the product is Gemstone - they supplied a kit with it which was a set of sanding discs with finer and finer grit which you were to use to smooth out the finish. A bottle of cleaning fluid similar to acetone to clean between sanding , and a bottle of sealer similar to tile sealer to polish on after final sanding a cleaning. I have one worktop where the finish can only be described as perfect, and the other which is the sink one where we have between 2 and 20 holes per square inch of diameter ranging between 0.2mm to 1mm (or so)
    depth of hole is up to 1mm

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's lot of holes!:eek:

Company should replace it, as it a manufacturing fault in my opinion, expect a few holes, but not that many, it's clearly not fit for purpose.

12. Holes up to 1mm wide and the same deep?!

I can't see sealer filling that... :rolleyes:

That's a new worktop to me. I am familiar with Maia which is a similar idea - a chipboard core with a thick coating over it so's it looks like a 'solid' surface. And also able to be sanded and polished.

Mu mum-in-law has these, and the surface is perfectly smooth.

Do the instructions that came with it mention the possibility of holes like this? If it were 'normal', then I'd expect it to; it isn't unusual to find clauses like "You may find variations in the colour/finish/blah blah but this is normal with such a natural product" - type malarkey in products that do have variations.

But you would not expect to find perforations in a worktop! It ain't bleedin' hygienic for a start...

So, first thing is to be absolutely certain that it isn't 'normal' and 'acceptable' - ie that it cannot be filled by the sealer to a fully acceptable standard.

And if it is not normal, then you can make them replace it - no question.

You do this by citing the - whatsitcalled? - the replacement for the SoG? Consummer Rights thingy?

It basically involve a properly worded letter (ask Citizens Advice for help - look on their website) giving them a week to sort it or else you'll get another company to do so and then sue them. Which you'll win.

They'll almost certainly back down before this happens.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. Had a look at the installation instructions. It is very similar to Maia tops - probably better as it has a 6mm layer as opposed to 3mm (I think).

Nowhere is there any mention of porous holes like you mention. I cannot believe it's normal.

Just how much sanding did you do?! And where?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's faulty I say.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  16. By their own assessment - yep. And by a huge margin.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With a target of ZERO DEFECTS.:eek:

See this linky, can't see any holes, other than sink hole.:p

18. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Just ran over it with the random orbital sander left to right then up and down - exactly the same on both pieces - did a little bit of extra where the end pieces were resin mounted on to clear the resin - other than that not touched - Grit sizes they supplied were 150 , 180 , 240 , 400 , 600. - I used the 150 and 180 only on the ends as the surface in general seemed very smooth to start with - cleaning and waiting 30 minutes for any residue cleaner to evaporate after every pass. As I have not fitted this product before I was being very very careful - fitted loads of laminate and wood with no issues.
    After further chasing I eventually got hold of someone this morning -they are currently "discussing this" supposed to be coming back to me this afternoon.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They will blame op,as he is not a professional kitchen fitter, :eek: but worktop is clearly faulty.