Plaster bubbling and flaking patches on wall?????

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Robbie1234, Jun 12, 2016.

?

How to fix internal wall.

1. Plaster.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Builder

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Robbie1234

Robbie1234 New Member

My daughters room was plastered and painted last year after we fixed the damp in the room. We put a drainage system outside and all the wall is bone dry prior painting it. However 3 months after painting the wall has these patches appearing that's bubbling dry when poped? How would I fix this?? Please help

Attached Files:

2. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

Hard to tell from the picture but from what I can see it looks soaking wet. wont know how to fix it until you know where it's coming from. What is on the other siDe of that wall? What is the heat and ventilation like In that room? Have you had any problems with the roof? Is external ground height high?.

tore81 likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Seen something similar before. A vent was put in which didn't solve the problem.

What type of windows do you have? Stone build or block?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

1st floor room, checked gutter, any flashing,condition of roof, pointing, any window present.

You need to find the cause, before you try to cure it.

Any chance of a wider photo from a distance, not so close up.

Also age of property, has it a cavity wall, any cavity insulation.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    tore81 likes this.
  5. Robbie1234

Robbie1234 New Member

Wider pictures

Attached Files:

6. Robbie1234

Robbie1234 New Member

Attached Files:

7. Almost certainly you have unresolved damp issues - as Scot says above, the wall looks very wet in these bubbling areas.

Question is, did you get a builder in to "sort the damp issue and redo the plaster" or did you sort the damp issue and then get a plasterer in to finish it orf?

If the former, then the builder is liable to come back and sort it - properly this time.

If the latter, then the plasterer is not liable; you need to have this damp issue fixed and then get a plasterer in - again - to finish it orf.

I wonder if a damp-proof render or tanking on the brickwork would be a good call before the top skim layer next time?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What sort of "drainage system" did the builder put in ?

9. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

I have seen this sort of damage before. It was water damage to a plaster (not plasterboard) wall, the water had reacted with calciates (i think that was the term used by the chap at Brewers). It caused the paint to bubble and flake ss per your pictures. I used http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/test/ to cure it. Has to scrape paint of back to bare plaster and then apply the product. Worked a treat.