plaster sealer

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Gladys, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Gladys

Gladys Member

This is for all you plasterers out there There has been a bit of a debate on the painters forum ref plaster sealer. They do not use - just mist coat what do you plasterers recommend so there are no future problems with adhesion.

Also if you do reccommend plaster sealer how long is it before you can put on a freshly skimmed wall.

Also if you do not use sealer what is the best prep eg rub down wash down etc or do you just mist coat over the top.

I hope some of you cac help

2. andyplast

andyplast New Member

i just say mist coat if a customer asks, with some let down cheap white emultion - if a plasterer is worth his salt they will know not to polish the hell out of a wall so the paint adheres properly. i also say a standard answer of 7 days drying for skim over board or a week per 10mm of float and set.

hth

(ps would be pretty **** off is someone took some 100 grit to a wall i have finished!!)

[Edited by: admin5]

3. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Ask a plasterer how to plaster......

Ask a painter how to paint......

:)

4. Gladys

Gladys Member

How long for skimming over original wall to make even not over plaster board I presume approx 5mm or so

5. Gladys

Gladys Member

Also if I find any polished areas is it best to roughen up a little with a fine paper so it helps adhesion.
    Also do you need to wash down quickly befor painting to get rid of any surface dust as I understand it gets quite dusty when drying out.

6. JustinTheSpread

JustinTheSpread New Member

For sealing, yes a mist coat will do. For skimming a wall, how long depends on how big. Not long (less than a day) to skim a ceiling and a couple of walls in the average bedroom of around 12Lx12Wx7H. As for thickness of skim, if you have to level a wall don't use multi, it'll look wrong. Bond it out & feather it off then skim on that, you can't use one thing to do another's job...

7. JustinTheSpread

JustinTheSpread New Member

Also, drying times: Skimmed wall / ceiling is 3-5 days depending on weather and float is around a day per 10mm - same as screeding (providing screed is set onto decent surface and not on some sort of sealed surface...).

8. bigjules

bigjules New Member

I've been involved with literally hundreds of new-build houses over the last 20 plus years, (render and set, bOnd and set, board and skim, hardwall), and NONE of them have use any form of proprietry sealer.

One mist and 2 full coats of trade emulsion, Dulux Supermatt or similar.

9. Gladys

Gladys Member

how long to skim room 14 x 14 approx 7 ft high - 4 walls ceilign already skimmed

Thanks ps is there any way taht the dust can be to a bare minimum I will try and seal up must of the flat but it is difficult- any tips

10. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

how long to skim room 14 x 14 approx 7 ft high - 4
    walls ceilign already skimmed

Thanks ps is there any way taht the dust can be to a
    bare minimum I will try and seal up must of the flat
    but it is difficult- any tips

Don't eat yellow snow.

11. TimTheSpread

TimTheSpread New Member

Just a day. Any good plasterer will not mix up in your house, and should have some clean(ish) dustsheets. so there really should be no dust involved...

12. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Gladys you old slapper - you post he same garbage time and time again. Dont help this old tart guys - he is taking the mick