Plaster skim or lining paper.. ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SNAFINCH, Sep 23, 2015.

1. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

Hi, I live in a bungalow built in 1956 with original plastered walls, and have stripped the wallpaper in the hall with a view to redecorate. The walls aren't in the greatest condition with some cracks, old areas of patchy paint, dents and rough areas. I could either get the walls skimmed, then paint..... or put up a suitable grade lining paper and paint. Has any one heard of 'Wall doctor' lining paper, and if so how good is it compared to standard lining paper for painting..?

Thanks in advance.... wall.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Skimmed, far superior finish.:)

Do any electric work, like chasing, rewire, before they are skimmed.

3. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

Thanks Kiab...... had the place rewired a while back..

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

WallRock also do a superior range of various thickness lining papers for rough walls really depends on the standard of preparation and available budget!

5. Snafinch, this is gonna have to be your call.

As KIAB says, a decent plasterer will give you the best finish. But, it'll cost you £undreds, might give a less crisp edge at skirting boards ('cos it's gonna have to be a few mm thick), etc etc.

Then you'll have to prepare the surface for painting - which will mean thoroughly cleaning off any scum and then mist coating before painting.

That 'Wall Doc' paper is a potential DIY job - are you up for this? If so, you'll save a fortune and know that it's all yer ain work.

But, it'll have to be done well with invisible joins, trimmed expertly at skirtings, around leccy sockets, ceilings and architrave.

Once a couple of finishing coats of matt emulsion has been applied, I doubt you'd tell the difference unless you deliberately set out to.

But, it's your call.

6. If any of these walls are exterior, you might also want to consider an insulating paper which is around 3mm thick. Of course, that will 'eat' into your skirting thickness, but it will also give you a noticeable amount of insulation.

7. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

Thanks for replies chaps. I'm pretty 'ofay' with wallpapering.... so that's prob the way i'll go......

Any advise on which is the better lining paper : Wallrock or Wall Doctor... ?

All internal walls by the way....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  8. Two different beasts, Sna. Once is chust a thin lining paper and t'other primarily designed for insulating.

The paper can be stuck on with normal paste, but the Rock needs it's own adhesive (your call if you want to try and get away with chust a stronger paste mix!)

Both will (should) give an excellent finish, and the 'Rock will obviously cover much worse surfaces. But will also take some of the top edge thickness of your shirtings.

If it were me, I def use the 'Rock on any external walls, and prob only the lining paper on internal (tho' I might also take it around a return wall so's to make the corner insulated too.)

If using the 'Rock, I'd also be tempted to remove the skirtings and 'Rock down to the floor. Then glue the skirts back on after cleaning them up.

9. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

Thanks DA... :)

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did you use a steam wallpaper stripper to remove the paper. I had the same in my house when I remove the wall paper, it did take a lot of effort but was well worth it, I now have nicely painted walls.

If you used a wall paper stripper I would recommend to re go over a small area at a time to remove any reaming paper and wallpaper paste using a scraper and clothe which should be rinsed on a regular basis. it is best to concentrate on small manageable areas at a time so it wont seem overwhelming.

Once the wall are completely dry rub down with sandpaper and fill and dents etc.

If you have smoke alarms, remove these before steaming as the steam can damage the sensors.

CGN likes this.
  11. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

I removed the paper using lots of water and a scraper, quite a task but it's all of now. But there is still quite a lot of old paint patches, these can be removed using a scraper, but is very laborious.....

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

On external walls try Wallrock Thermal Liner and cross line with Wallrock Fibre Liner, on internal walls Wallrock Fibre Liner (1metre width).

13. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

Thanks.... would you say that Wallrock is better quality than Wall Doctor..... ?

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes. I do not know if wall doctor is paper or not, Wallrock is very strong as it is made up of compressed fibre's.

15. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

I think Wall Doctor is classed as Superfresco, so sounds like paper. I understand that Wallrock also have Wallrock Fibreliner Premium which is smoother than the Wallrock Fibreliner.... ?

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Check out the price and you will see why it's called 'premium' :eek: ,does leave a very good finish though.

17. SNAFINCH

SNAFINCH Guest

Thought it would be ......thanks again