plasterboard install. and whats this type

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by G1zm0, Apr 23, 2014.

1. G1zm0

G1zm0 Member

Hi im drywalling my bathroom.
    I have coven on ceiling. Is it best to remove this or should it just fit under it.
    Also I got pipes coming out wall . Should I cut the drywall above pipes to make it easy to markout .
    On the other wall I have shower pipe coming out and in the corner there's a resess that the drywall goes into. And there's nt a stud b4 the pipe (abt 300mm). To get it into the corner. And over the pipe and under the coving is turning out to b hard . How would you approach this. . The way I thought was to batten out from corner and get the 2 pieces to meet . But that would leave them just touching ends. And this wall is shower wall. (Mr board and will be tanked

Now I took old drywall away from the exterior wall and it has foam behind it (insulation).
    The plaster is abt 10mm and foam about 20mm thick. . The yellow foam is adhered to the back and then silver backing.

Where can I get this. I tryed the sheds but to no avail. Or can I use loft insulation stuff behind 10mm board

Any help appreciated

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Sounds like Celotex insulated plasterboards, all decent DIY Stores should stock them. Comes in 2 formats, Foam insulation only or foam attached to plasterboards.

3. G1zm0

G1zm0 Member

Thanks pj. I looked it up and looks same . Altho mine hasnt branding on it (circa 1985).
    When I checked my local stores. crapbase had nowt and b&screw only had roof ones . And the guy hasn't a clue and sayed to use loft insulation or expanding foam .

I will check jewson or wicks tmz . Its only a 38x36 inch bit I require .

Just need to figure out how to do the rest of the job. Will prob cut it at a stud and fit top part then cut out pipes and inatall bottom. Then the problem wall just batten it out and cut bottom and top and do same with that without putting it right into the resess.

Anyone did a shower neich (alcove)

4. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

5. G1zm0

G1zm0 Member

Thanks for links. The b&q one is just plasterboard with foil . No foam. I saw this one down there.

The wicks one is ideal but to thick. At 50mm. My total thickness required togo with rest of wall is 25mm, 10mm plaster. 15 mm foam. This is the combination in trying to find.

Thanks

6. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

7. G1zm0

G1zm0 Member

Ahh cool. Do they sell to the public or they trade only. Theres one abt 10 mile from me

Thanks pg

8. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

As for your other question, are you repairing a small area? Ifo then just cut the board to size and then using 1 by 1 batten of aprrox 4 inches long and make a few of these depending on size of area to repair, ideally 1 for every 10 to 12 inches apart or equally spaced apart.

1st insert the batten to the drylined wall in place already and make a mark where the batten is and then place your cutout new plasterboard and place into the hole and screw them into place and then make the area neat with jointing compound and plaster.

9. G1zm0

G1zm0 Member

Its 800x2300 . It has coving at top and the pipe is a meter up and 300 out. Tge recess is 3 inch. Waa thinking of battening up the cwall. One batten will bring it level to tge adjoining wall and 2 will gimmy a bit to screwcto.

So u think its best to cut it in half. Slide top up and then the bottom .
    Or u think it can b done all in one

10. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

well it is best to do in 1, but check and double check and finally triple check you got all the cut out in the right place and put in place.

problem with doing it in 2 then you need a noggins to be installed at the point you cut the plasterboard at as opposed to 1 by 1 batten.

11. G1zm0

G1zm0 Member

Thats true. My only concern is getting it under the coving. Or should I just rip the coving off and replace.
    The wall ends at the door .

Will I bother trying to tuck it into the recess at all

12. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

If it was me and it just me, I would remove the coving carefully and then do. Unless someone knows a neat easier trick to tackle this can advise.

13. G1zm0

G1zm0 Member

Its plasterboard coving. And £5 for 3 meter length. And a part had a pipe going thro it. So prob best just to replace it. Just need to get away from ceiling.

Im going to attempt to skim the ceiling as a posed to putting a plasticcceiling up that I was intending to do

Ive created a cash only acc with travis perkins. Fabrication my own facticious company. Hopefully get good prices .

Thanks pj for all ur help

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

prepare to be fleeced