Plasterboard or AIB?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by t.jardine1996@gmail.com, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Hi,
    Just last year we got under the stairs converted into a cuboard. We got a new wall made up however inside the new cuboard there is a few pannels with white inner layer. I have had  good look at it and it has little fibres pointing out! I am assuming this is plasterboard not Asbestos instulation board? I just hope that the builders did not go cheap and used old stock? I will try and put some pictures of it for all to see shortly.

Thanks.

2. Hoverfly

Hoverfly New Member

Ooooerrrr, no need for a piccy, that's deffo asbestos.

Best hold a hankie over your face and rip the lot out, just in case like.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

There are asbestos free replacement boards that may have a fibrous appearance on a broken edge, I think Superlux is one brand, I could not say but do put up the picture someone may be able to help.
    I would ask the builder first what the material is without showing too much alarm, but the only way to be sure is to get a sample tested.
    A hanging offence if they have used it!

Finges crossed for you.
    teabreak

4. I will defo try to upload a picture later on! The builders were quite cowboy like however the boards must of been cut as some have a thicker cut than others. Hopefully the pictures will help us decide what is. If it is Asbestos the builders will be getting a big spoken to!

5. surfermick

surfermick New Member

old stock from where? if it was done last year its not likely at all to be asbestos, it may be cement fibre board which looksjust like asbestos.

6. My guess that its gysum plasterboard its got a paper backing too. I am not expert on Asbestos but It can't be right that AIB is still being used in 2013? I am sure around 1980 production stopped? Like I have said, tomorow I will upload some pictures of it. Of course though i have heard rumour that cement fibre board is just as bad as asbestos is this true?

7. surfermick

surfermick New Member

tj, if it has a paper backing it is plasterboard, no asbestos in plasterboard. cement fibre board is not as bad as asbestos, cement is an irritant, but it has been around for enough years to find out if it is carcinogenic.Have you had anything in your house tested for asbestos yet?

8. Picture of board. Sorry photo is not straight up. Is it normal for a long thin fibre to stick out?

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

looks like PB and scrim to me

10. Thanks Sean_ork: Hopefully its Plasterboard and Scrim. I have looked online and from what I gather AIB is a lot thinner than plasterboard?
    Also managed to get the Artex celing in out of intrest in Artex celings ( if it did contain Asbestos) Would it be in the peaks? What concerns my is a few years ago the mop handle scrapped against the Artex and put a ridge line through the middle of it. I hopefully I will get the Artex tested once I find a provider who will sample. However since the house was built in 1995 is it likely it contains it? My neighbour had new celings put up I asked about was there any asbestos and they did not know.

11. surfermick

surfermick New Member

tj, the game is surely up, if you havnt had anything tested yet, then you are just spouting off. you have been asking the same question for months, you get the same answer back.no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no it is not likely to be asbestos. would you like someone to say yes it is. if you really were concerned you would have had it tested (costs a few ££££)  you havnt had it tested so i now believe you are a joker. ;) got ya, games up:)

12. I Am concerned its unfair to say that I am a joker! I blame all the hype about asbestos making me nervous.
    I Would like to get artex sampled but If it contained it surely it would increase anxiety! You never know I will get it tested and post the results on here.  I am concerned why else would I spend my time posting on here ?

13. surfermick

surfermick New Member

but you must see that you have been "concerned " and posting the same question for months, the same answer goes out to you each time you post.if you are too concerned about it to let it go then what choice do you have other than to get it tested, job done, answer received.  its your call, either spend the next few months stressing about it or get the test done and find out. i will put this question to you, if you dont want to test it incase you are living in a house full of asbestos then you are still living in a house full of asbestos. as i have advised you before, stress is one of the worst things for causing bad illnesses, stress kills many thousands more people than asbestos. you have to get the stuff tested before you make yourself ill.

14. I Appreciate the advice surfermick. I am no expert on asbestos and I am worried about past exposures. When I was at school many years about the fire door layer coming off and others kicking it. I will get it tested will I need to sample it or will the company do it for me? Chances are I will not only get artex sampled. It may end up costing a lot of ££££ though!

15. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ok, last time tj, here is what you have to do, you take a small (1 inch square) piece of what ever you want tested, send it to whoever is testing in your area (ask building control) they will send a report back, job done. no, i dont believe you can get someone out to a domestic property to test it for you.  if you are concerned about taking apiece down then find the nearest unemployed person near to you and offer £10 to put a 1 inch square peice of artex into a plastic bag for you, i think you will get some takers ;) all the best with the venture, please report back once you have had the test done.

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I totally sympathise with your concerns over asbestos but as everyone has said getting someone in to test is the only way you will be sure.
    You can call somebody in, or if you prefer not to have somebody call, you can take samples as surfermick says and send them off for testing.
    Just call the company first and check on what sample they require and how to send it to them safely.

I would avoid searching for sampling companies on the web, go to either of these sites and find a company on their list near you.

http://www.arca.org.uk/

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/managing/further.htm
    click on link half way down the page for Accredited testing laboratories

I have used Bradley Environmental in Birmingham and Amstech in Sussex.

Plenty of advice on here and the net about safety precautions to take when collecting samples.

It will be around £80 - £100 to call out, which may include a first sample, additional samples will be extra maybe £20 or so. Lets be fair in your position even if it costs a couple of hundred it will be well worth it for peace of mind.

Hope it lays your fears to rest,
    Best wishes,
    teabreak