Plasterboard wall socket wings/clips

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dannimac1, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

dannimac1 likes this.
  2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmmm..many thanks for the elucidation HA..:)

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Not being funny or owt, but it looks like those wings have never been fiited in the in situ box before..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

dannimac1 likes this.
  4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Them red clips are junk if it tight they hard to pull forward, take socket off and push it in

dannimac1 likes this.
  5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

That's dot and dab for you Peter.

dannimac1 likes this.
  6. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

I would truly like to thank everyone for their time and help I have done the first socket :) and can now do the others, can someone please tell me where I can buy more of these I need 4 more x

Attached Files:

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You need to buy cavity box doubt you can buy them separate some wholesalers stock them

dannimac1 likes this.
  8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Trim some of the rear of the lug off. The brass threaded ferrule only takes up the first 1/2" or so.

9. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

Thanks guys!

10. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

No it doesn't look like they were fitted properly, they just made sure they got them screwed on!

11. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

The socket is behind the tiles so can't take it out

12. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

Can someone tell me what those things are called please so I can see if I can find them online, thanks

13. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

14. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

Thanks Paul, but do you know what those little red clips/wing/lug things are called?

15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I've never seen them sold seperately. You buy the whole box, discard the body, and keep the wings.
    Each manufacturer has a slightly different shape, so there's no 3rd party aftermarket 'one wing fits all' solution.

dannimac1 likes this.
  16. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

Thanks! Yes i have been looking on google and can see they are different shapes/colours and sizes. If it comes to it I might have to buy ones that are similar and maybe glue them to the plastic box inside then screw the front panel on, gotta do something.

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

One alternative might be to get you electrician to disconnect the socket, totally remove the plastic box which will leave a deep hole.

Glue, using a grab adhesive, a suitable thick piece of timber to the wall behind the boards, then when dry screw a 35mm metal back box into place. Finally, reconnect the socket and screw into place.

18. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I expect they are called "those little red clips/wing/lug things" for cavity wall socket boxes.:)
    As they are so cheap to buy the whole box with the lugs then I think you would struggle to buy the lugs on there own.
    These are what I used from our hosts:-
    http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/back-boxes/cat7230011

19. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

I can't remove the box, there are tiles over the lip at the front

20. dannimac1

dannimac1 New Member

Thanks very much Paul!