Plastering over soot

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by J.T. Builders Ltd, Jan 6, 2008.

1. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

I got a job to do in a few weeks, floating and skimming around a fire place.

only one problem, there is soot on the areas that need plastering, and i am sure some one told me that you can't plaster over soot because it comes through?

so what do you do wire brush it off, or seal it with something?

ta.

2. Hello there, yeah what you heard is correct (from my personal experience) i once bonded over soot and skimmed it and when it dried it looked fine but when mr decorator painted it it there was plenty of yellow stains comin through!
    best way to do it if possible is dot and dab 9.5mm board over it, but i`d give it a quick brush a wet brush to get the excess dust off the wall!
    otherwise get me to do it haha!
    hope i was helpful!
    mike.

3. J.T. Builders Ltd

nice one,

dot n dab over an open fire place?

and a long way for you to come mate, the job is on the south coast. lol

4. andy_spread

andy_spread New Member

I would remove the loose soot the use thistle bond-it over it. that will stop it coming through.
    Im down south, where are you?

5. Brummie Taffy

Brummie Taffy New Member

soot will contain aggressive nitrates and chlorides which are hygroscopic salts. These salts are also common in rising damp probs. They may come to the surface if using a gypsum plaster. Therefore treat same as damp - sand and cement or a renovating plaster.

6. J.T. Builders Ltd

Oh rite cheers lads.

Andy i'm near southampton, how about you?

7. andy_spread

andy_spread New Member

near Exeter mate

8. J.T. Builders Ltd

oh miles away then, cheers lad 1 - 3 render mix then with water proofer.

cheers again.

9. bmbplastering

bmbplastering New Member

clean down the soot pva it and then plaster with thistle dri coat or youll have one hell of a problem with efflovesence comming through (salt) and did i spell it right??

10. Brummie Taffy

Brummie Taffy New Member

"effloresence comming through"

No mate - effloresence is sulphate which is the white fluffy stuff. Soot contains hygroscopic salts - you wont get the white sulphate coming through. Instead you get what appears to be round damp patches randomly on the wall. The chlorides and nitrates are hygroscopic in that they take the moisture from the air when they come to the surface resulting in the damp patches.

11. Brummie Taffy

Brummie Taffy New Member

Any wall that has effloresence should get a treatment with an anti-sulphate salt neutraliser first before replastering. By the way - Thistle Dri-Coat is a type of renovating plaster just like Renderlite and Limelite with better thermal properties than s&c render.