Plastic Pipes with joints under a screened kitchen floor

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimmy Milne, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Jimmy Milne

Jimmy Milne New Member

Hi All,

New to this so hopefully someone can assist.

We are having our kitchen extended and sink moved to a new location. The plumber has laid plastic pipe hot and cold feeds with some joints on the concrete floor which is now ready for a layer of insulation followed by screeding and then finished floor surface.

To my untrained eye I am not 100% sure if this correct and how we would access this if the joint failed as there has been no mention of access.

Also does this comply with regs and I am tempted to ask the insurance company if they are happy with this but that could open a whole can of worms that I am not sure I want to open.

Thanks in advance.

JM

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Difficult one, not the best practice as you can get the plastic pipe in rolls to avoid joints in inaccessible places. Will it be ok - it should be ok but with all joints there is a chance of failure.

The main causes of failure is the plumber hasn't fitted the inserts in the joint or pulled the fitting tight so the locking ring isn't fully extended. Depending on the pipe fittings being used you can normally check the fittings. The other test it to put some water through the pipe at mains pressure before the screed goes down

3. What building regulations say,unless they have changed.I would also think it would be good practice not to have joints under the screed.

3. Can Speedfit Pipe be buried in the floor screed?
    The Building Regulations state that pipe laid in screed must be removable. Speedfit provide a conduit pipe through which the Speedfit Pipe can be laid. If the Speedfit Pipe needs to be replaced, it can be disconnected at each end of the conduit and then pulled out.

The installation of fittings in screed should be avoided. Where it is deemed necessary, they should be installed in an access box with a removable lid.

Conduit pipe is supplied with an outside diameter of 24mm for use with 15mm pipe and an outside diameter of 30mm for use with 22mm pipe. Both sizes are available in lengths of 25 metres or 50 metres

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What they don't point out is that whilst you can pull the pipe through the conduit the fitting won't

5. That is true,but as you have said they should the rolls of plastic so that there are no joins.
    Personally I would always use copper,but if I had no option I would use the rolls and therefor no joints.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, any concealed joint is a disaster waiting to happen.

The access box thing has always raised a little smile - I can't think of where using one would be acceptable or feasible to the home owner as most kitchen floors and bathroom floors are tiled. Can you imagine a plumber telling the home owner that they need to have an access point in the middle of the travertine because he was to lazy to fit a longer length of pipe !