plastic pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Krsmayo, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Krsmayo

Krsmayo New Member

Hi all, can someone give me some advice, I've just had my loft converted and I have some issues with the pipe work that has been installed. I have had a lot of noise from the pipes when the washing machine is on and when you turn on and off taps quickly. I lifted up the floorboards in the landing to find whats in the pictures, I told my build I wasn't happy and the plumber came back to fix it when my wife was in. as you can see from the pictures he has clipped it but now the pipes look really stress. can you tell me if this is acceptable .

thanks Chris

Attached Files:

2. Krsmayo

Krsmayo New Member

he has also just scraped the pipe when he put the board back down

Attached Files:

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Looks like a lash up to me.

4. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

That looks perfectly normal for plastic pipework.

The plastic strangler obviously can't solder looking at the joints in the pics...Copper is proper.

5. Krsmayo

Krsmayo New Member

I know I hate push fits, just don't know where I stand in regards to building regs, and if I'm within my right to get all this **** work re done by the plumber they used.

6. Krsmayo

Krsmayo New Member

I can just imagine over time that all that stress on the joints is going to come loose

7. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

Firstly theres nothing wrong in installing plastic pipework, provided its correctly installed,
    I install both copper and plastic they both have there benefits.
    The biggest thing with installing plastic pipework is supporting the pipework adequately,
    Using the longest lengths of pipework possible minimizing the amount of fittings used, so improving flow rates.
    Not having to tight a bends in the pipework.
    When drilling through joist allowing enough space around pipe for expansion,
    The big thing is you need a reasonable amount of space to install plastic pipework, otherwise it will always look a lash up,
    What youve got is unsightly, im always dubious of installers who think its ok, its under the floor no one will see it,
    It should always be neat and tidy where ever you install your pipework,
    So just being water tight isnt enough, or am i just a dinosaur of a tradesman
    i would ask your builder is it cheaper if installed looking like this rather than being neat and tidy.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is more hole than wood in that joist.

9. darren jackson

i did notice that lol
    also no metal plates over plastic pipe where they are notched out in joists

10. darren jackson

i think my trade is the worst in the world for encouraging idiots to call themselves a heating engineers or plumbers,
    anyone can join the pipes but its knowing why

11. Krsmayo

Krsmayo New Member

Are metal plates a requirement across joists?

12. darren jackson

i think it comes under good working practice and is recommended by the manufacturers
    we always use them

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. Yes it looks hellish. But, no, I don't think it's under any particular stress, and I wouldn't expect any fittings to come loose as a result.

Darren says it all - plastic gives some people an excuse to be lazy and still call themselves a heating engineer.

Plastic has some huge pluses, tho', the biggest probably being that you can drill holes through the centres of joists where they don't weaken them and pipe runs are safe from nails and screws. To be fair, it looks as tho' your guy has indeed done this, and only used a top joist 'notch' where it probably existed before for a copper pipe?

It is sloppy work, tho' - leaving all these pipe runs lying loose is chust nuts! You were almost bound to have 'hammer'.

Even tho' plastic pipe is far better insulated than copper, wh'y hasn't he slipped on cheap foam lagging? It'll add further insulation, but also cushion the pipe from unwanted movement.

Protection plates over notches would have been a positive sign of good workmanship - so it's no surprise this guy didn't bother...

Mayo, it's indeed sloppy, but unfortunately just about acceptable :oops:

14. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

You could complain about the clip spacing, it should be 300mm in a horizontal run as recommended by the manufacturer

15. Krsmayo

Krsmayo New Member

my main concern was that the elbows are being pull at an angle by the pipes that they have now clipped

16. I wouldn't worry about that.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

TBH although the work is sloppy (not removing the old dead pipes, fittings, no nail plates etc.), You have two problems that are more pressing than the plumbing - the joists and the quality of the electrical work. When you see connectors like the one circled in the top left, which haven't been closed correctly, it does cause concern. Also seeing all those cables bunched up does raise the risk of a lot of heat building up. I would get an independant electrician in to have a look. Whoever ran the cables has severely weakened the the joist by the number and size of the holes in close proximity, the electrician will probably give you a view point on this as well

upload_2016-9-23_13-56-32.png

Attached Files:

18. slippyr4

slippyr4 Member

Out of interest, what plates do you guys normally use to protect against nails?

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

20. Oh how we'd laugh if... :oops:

(I'm ashamed...)