Plastic / recycled gravel boards

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by teabreak, May 1, 2015.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi all has anyone used these please?
    I have a fence that has higher soil on the neighbours side, at the moment a length of asbestos roofing has been buried to hold it back from the fence. I figured to leave the asbestos in place as removing it will be a right pain, it is well buried and loads of roots from the neighbours (beech I think) hedge.
    I will put the new fence in front of it as I am not too worried about loosing a few inches of garden.
    Should the neighbour ever pull out the asbestos from her side at a later date the soil will pile up against my fence again, so I am thinking of using rot proof gravel boards as a precaution. Concrete are not an option as the panels will be shorter than standard 6" so cutting will be a pain.

Anyone use them at all?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You don't say how high soil is, isn't there a chance of them bowing & may be breaking if your neighbour decided to remove asbestos sheet.
    Making a easy job harder, by not using standard 6' spacing.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

The panels are short about 4' 6" long and I figure to fit a central oak peg, maybe even re-enforce the box sections too, the soil would be about 9"

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Funny I seem to have lost edit:eek:, meant to add the boards I am looking at come in 12" and 6" heights.:)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about used railway sleepers 250mm width, & 2.6 metres or 8ft 6" long, certianly won't bow.

Used a lot in gardening for raised borders & retaining walls.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for replying KIAB.
    :) Well certainly would be solid, but would jut out a bit too much I think.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

125mm thickness.