Plumbing query - new build

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RobbieP, Nov 19, 2015.

1. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

Hello as mentioned on the brick laying forum I have been looking at a new build property and have some concerns. I cannot seem now to locate a waste pipe from the kitchen.

Do not take me wrong I am no plumbing expert especially not with modern plumbing.

Any guidance on the pictures below would be useful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. If there ain't one on the inside, there probably ain't one fitted.

It chust requires a hole drilled through t'wall - and a drain fitted somewhere along that wall to collect it - I don't see anything in place yet.

What other drains are in the house - loos, bathrooms, separate utility? etc.?

3. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

There are two fitted bathrooms and a downstairs WC. They all seem to be sorted. I thought I was being stupid about the kitchen. As you can see the downpipe is over the other side from the window where the water supply is, so that would make connecting to the existing drain challenging? Could we run a pipe internally through to the downstairs WC and connect to the waste of the sink there?

4. If that downpipe is draining - as I understand it should - into a soak-away, then that won't be suitable for the sink waste. However, I'm not sure if this is the case.

Where are the bathrooms and the loo - on the side or back of the house?

5. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

If it's a new build I wouldn't worry I'm sure it will be 1st fixed somewhere and will have a second fix yet to be done often pipes are in in cavity voids and have a compression coupling to connect to let them finish the house before you look for snagging problems

6. I suspect Robbie is looking at taking over the house in its current state? The builder has passed away, so it's likely to be an opportunity for a cash buyer?

RobbieP likes this.
  7. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

8. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

Ultimately I want to know how much work I've got to do. I'm starting to think, not.

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Would it not be an idea to speak to the builder first before putting out on an internet form where all we can do is speculate?

RobbieP likes this.
  10. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

To be honest mate, I just trying not to waste anyone time or my money and get some basic advice. I am not an expert the builder as per the post above is DEAD!

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Where's Doris Stokes when you need her? ( ooh yeah she's probably floating in the ether with the builder) :p:p:p:p

12. Robbie, looking at your helpful floor plans, there's a bathroom above what is your 'dining' area, and that wall is also against the neighbouring house, so no external stack is running down there.

So, I'm guessing - hoping - that in the far corner of your dining room there is a boxed-in soil stack, and your sink can connect to there. Which is likely wot was planned for.

These are all finishing touches, and are a dream job for a DIYer - if the price is right, this could be a great opportunity. Not so much so if you need to pay tradespeeps to do everything.

But, even so - depends on the asking price.

13. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,

Mine is a 1978 new build a 4 bed room.
    It was a stupid price £18.500 damn rip off. He He.

Well is in not a 1 pipe system
    a 4 inch opps 100 mm inside the home,
    With WC/Bath/ Wash Basin/bidet/Sink / all delivering
    into the main sewer to keep it sweet.
    And rain water into surface drains.

Maybe I am just out of touch with my old age.
    Mt 1978 build is as I mention.

Johnny M

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Nothing sticking out of the floor slab - it must be in the area under bedroom 3

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

what is that area marked as a black square on rh side wall is that not soil pipe boxing, its under bathroom that side?

16. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

I'm going back there today to check it out with a plumber. Advice and guidance was/is appreciated all.

17. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I suspect that there is a soil pipe in that black box along the RH wall just below the upstairs bathroom. Put a strap-on on :eek:

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

:rolleyes: Are you talking about a "boss" Metro or something else ??

If "something else" how's that gonna help the OP locate the soil pipe :eek:

(Better not go there mate, will give SF Pete the wobblies)

19. Give SF Pete the wobblies?

Is that what it's called these days?

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well can't call it "the willies" as "the other" is just a meat substitute - vegetarian even :(