Porcelain Tile - Straight cuts possible?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by building buddy, Nov 21, 2016.

1. building buddy

building buddy New Member

Hi guys,
    My builder said that you can't get clean lines with porcelain tiles. Is this true? I am very disappointed with the workmanship of the job. Am I just being picky or do you think I shouldn't stand for this?

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Doesn't know what he's talking about.

Cutting thickish porcelain tiles is tricky, unless you have the correct tile cutter, which I doubt he has, or poor technique using the correct cutter hence the ragged edge.

I wouldn't be happy with that...

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very poor.

Total BS, need a diamond blade (continuous rim) & a decent wet tile cutter, some do chip the tiles, as to why I don't know.

4. building buddy

Thanks for the replies. These aren't even the worse ones. A few have been chipped on the corners or don't appear to be set properly along the door frame. The builder made it seem like I was being unreasonable to be disappointed with the job and said that he could apply more silicone around the door frame...I attached those photos. Everything seems like more of a patch job tho now.

Attached Files:

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Did a bathroom earlier on in the year which needed loads of straight cuts on large 2x1' porcelain tiles.

The best way of doing a clean cut, especially if your cutter hasn't sufficient power to snap them and you might think I'm taking the pee here, but the secret is...

building buddy likes this.
  6. AAAAARRRGGGHHHH - the internet cut out when he was about to tell us!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
    CGN and building buddy like this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Agree as as above, very poor workmanship. Should have used a wet tile cutter. Looks like he has either has never done it, or was just lazy. You should not be happy with that.

FYI the M25 is packed this morning...

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even worse.

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

IMG_6876.JPG

That is absolute *****. Anyone willing to install a chipped tile where it will be seen takes absolutely no pride in their work

10. Anyhoo, bb, a nice thick line of sili will indeed cover all these issues.

Ma botty.

This is the worst kind of situation to be in, I think - it isn't disastrous, but it ain't good either. I would not consider it a 'Pro' job.

The problem is, some people would either be 'happy' with it, or chust 'accept' it or some might not even notice. And to sort it all will be a major hassle for the guy since it's all fixed and grouted.

Still, bottom line is, it ain't good enough and you are not being unreasonably picky.

One proviso - what did you pay for the work? Could it be considered a 'budget' job. If this goes 'all the way' (eg small claims) then the adjudicator will take this into account.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

My first 'catch' of the day...jumped straight in to the net! :D:D

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. building buddy

It wasn't our choice of tiler. It was through the builder. His normal tiler was on a job so he had this one do it (via recommendation apparently)

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sorry DA...just creating a bit or suspense on a damp and miserable day! ;)

Now back to cutting the tile.

I've got a large rubi cutter ( a big red one! :eek:) and that still occasionally struggles. You have to really commit to snapping them after scoring, otherwise you risk getting a dodgy cut, so here's what you do...you stamp on them!!

Simply score them with the scoring wheel, move the scored edge to line up with the edge of the tile cutter base, put one foot on the tile and with your other foot, stamp cleanly and confidently on the over hanging tile. Perfect break every time...I kid you not. If your cutter hasn't got the most robust of bases, then put tile on the edge of a bit of solid wood etc.

Deleted member 33931 and Joe95 like this.
  14. Ok, it's going to be a bit unpleasant, I'm afraid.

It shouldn't be, but I suspect it will.

It ain't good enough. It really ain't. It needs sorting (or a massif discount if you can bear to live with it).

To sort it will require ripping it orf and starting again. The builder is going to really want to resist doing this - but he has no option should you insist.

If he point blank refuses, then you are entitled to inform him that you will find a pro tiler and get them to redo the job and send him the bill. If he doesn't pay, you can Small Claim/Moneyclaim.gov him and then 'Sheriff's Office' him afterwards if he doesn't pay up when he's lost the case. And you can be 100% certain that you will win doing this.

But obviously you will be more tactful than this, and will work on his sense of 'reason' - he knows it ain't good enough. He really, honestly does. He was crossing his fingers you wouldn't say anything. (The only alternative is that he really thinks it's ok, which means he shouldn't be in business...)

A good, decent, professional builder should be 100% focussed on making sure his clients are happy. Even the unreasonable ones - which you are not. So he shouldn't be reluctant to sort this - it's not a good sign that he is.

Is this part of a larger job? If so, he'll surely not want to make things tricky between you.

How you handle this is up to you.

Options?

1) Accept it at a massif discount (but only contemplate this if you know you can live with it.)

2) Withhold the full amount for the job - tiles, materials and labour - and get someone else to redo it afterwards.

3) Threaten to withhold the ditto until he capitulates and redos it.

4) If you've paid for anything - the tiles for example (which will be wrecked when removed, of course) - then you may need to go the Small Claims route if he doesn't sort it. If so, this needs doing properly - by the book.

5) Pay him the full amount - plus a hefty tip - and tell him that although you cannot even bear to look at the mess he's made, you know Christmas is coming and it's more important for your soul that he is happy and not you. He will then have a hellish, guilt-ridden Christmas and will probably fall out and be ostracised by his family and die a slow and lonely death in a seedy bedsit devoid of friends.

That last one is a bit cruel, so best not do it.

6) Something else I haven't thought of.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
    building buddy and CGN like this.
  15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

image.jpeg

Finished ensuite sans flooring...

16. Yeah, it's ok if you like that sort of thing...

(walks away whistling, leaving CGN in tears...)

CGN likes this.
  17. building buddy

We bought the tiles so this should become interesting....Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. This is the very end of the build so I suspect that the builder just wants to get onto his next job.

18. Yes he will!

But I guess you now have enough 'balance' still to pay him if he starts being awkward?

Be completely reasonable in your dealings - don't you become tetchy at all. (And, if he does, just go quiet and stare at him until he stops. He will be really embarrassed.)

Tell him how pleased you are with everything else (assuming you are, of course...) and how you'd happily recommend him to other customers - should he do the right thing.

Just show him you are a totally reasonable person, not over-fussy at all - you just know that this is sub-standard work. And you know that he knows it too...

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Bah! Till we meet again...Devils Advocaat :p:D

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Like the tiles, not sure about the window reveal, dont like the narrow cut there ans should have used a tile trim.