Position of hinges on a door.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Nov 11, 2016.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hello. I have built a small internal lobby leading to the bathroom from the kitchen. I will have two doors, one from the kitchen into the lobby, the other from the lobby to the bathroom. I have got the frames fixed in place and now need the hang the doors (a first for me!).

Question: Is there a preferred position for the top and bottom hinges up the edge of the door? - it's a standard moulded door 1980 x 601 (mm). Looking around the other doors in the house, they seem to have the bottom hinge higher up the bottom edge than the upper one is from the top.

Is there a standard distance from top and bottom for the hinges and can they be equally spaced?

Thanks for any advice/comments.

diymostthings

2. 6" down for top hinge and 9" up for bottom hinge.

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'd usually do 15cm down from top and about 20 from the bottom. Bottom hynge takes more weight so it usually set higher in the door

EDIT: did not see Deleted member 11267's post. Two answers better than one!

CGN likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Usual to have 3 hinges on a bathroom door, so do what joe said and pop the other half way between :)

Joe95 likes this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Are the 3 hinges for when you get swingers in?

CGN likes this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Bottom hinge doesn't take more weight. More stress is put on the top hinge. The bottom hinge is not being pulled.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

GoodwithWood likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Handy has got it right for once :)

GoodwithWood likes this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Could you develop, i was taught that the top hinge is pulled on (i.e taking the weight of the door diagonally from the point of fixing) and the bottom is taking the sheer force of the doors weight.
    Not being picky, looking for an explanation.

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I only ever put three hinges on fire doors , front & back doors, or heavier internal doors. on these eggshell internal doors (typical in houses and sold by the million in B&Q and Wickes) I'd only ever put two hinges on.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Same here, any chunky door needs three, but the cardboard filled 'doors', forget it.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Any weight in sheer is being felt by both hinges but the top hinge has the weight of the door in tension as well.
    If you are fitting a third hinge to stop the door warping then it goes in the middle but if it is because the door is very heavy it goes closer to the top.

Jord86 and GoodwithWood like this.
  12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Ah, I've got it now.
    Thanks chippie, i had always believed the bottom hinge took more weight, but even thinking about it, it makes no sense:oops:

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

we do it the other way in OZ mate

Joe95 likes this.
  14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This is all presuming the door is closed.
    To be honest most of it is bollix and I've seen chippies arguing about which way the hinge goes but if you are that close to the operational tolerance of the hinge, door or frame you need to start rethinking the design.

15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Whats the message though

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

No door or Door opening upwards, the conclusion I've gotten to with other chippies :)

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

My hair just fell in to a flick

19. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I don't do a lot of hinges, and when I HAVE to, I don't really enjoy it, I would like too, its a patience thing

20. What is that remark meant to mean.
    The measurements I gave are the correct ones.