Potterton Suprima 40

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dexterwolf, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

I had British Gas engineer come in on Friday as the boiler ( Suprima 40) after about 24hours does not come on with the timer and you have to reset to get working. The engineer had a laptop and replaced the electrode but today when I have gone to put the heating on the boiler in flashing amber intermittently. I have pressed reset and it has now come back on. Does anyone know what this could be?.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

get him back, he's not fixed it,:(

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Those boilers were notorious for poor soldering on the PCB. Potterton will never admit it (and I'm not even sure if they really understand the boards which are made by Siemens). I have "cured" three boilers now by re-flowing the solder over the component legs (not the IC's) because of the dry joints and in one case, no solder at all over a resistor pin. Not suggesting that you do this but it might be interesting backround info for you!

diymostthings

4. Kevin S Smith

Kevin S Smith New Member

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

6. Zico

Zico New Member

This was mentioned on Watchdog about 10 years ago.
    Whole sites of new builds with Potterton Suprima boilers fitted were failing in the way you describe. This was indeed due to poor soldering at manufacture.
    There was a new board produced by Potterton to fix it. They provided this free of charge but only between certain serial numbers - even though the problem existed for a far wider range then they admitted too.
    Will never use Potterton again because as a customer they fobbed me off. I had to pay for the upgraded design as mine serial number was outside.