Pre-Hung PVCu External Back Door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by robsonmark, Mar 1, 2005.

1. robsonmark

robsonmark New Member

I want to install this door, 850 x 2100mm aperture size required. The hole from the existing back door is 890 x 2060mm.
    Whats the easiest way of making the hole bigger? (scared I'll bring the house down on top of me)

2. panlid

panlid New Member

does the new frame have a cill that you could do without? that would get rid of 40mm in height and then take 10mm of head of frame with planer.
    if not what lintol is above opening?

3. Jim

Jim Guest

Planing PVCu, Sid, what blades are you using, do you care about your tools. By the way, what`s a LINTOL :)

4. panlid

panlid New Member

b**y hell jim its only placcy. i use my makita planer and it cuts through. whats the big deal. doesnt damage blades at all. any way did you sort your prob. out?

5. Kai

Kai New Member

A Lintol is the concrete or steel beam over the door or window opening, that supports the wall above.
    In a really old house it may be a timber such as oak etc.
    DO NOT try to cut, plane or trim the lintel unless you want a collapse of the wall!

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You shouldn't really cut or plane a upvc pre-fabricated door or frame. It is all part of the structure and strength of the system.
    Also, you might just cut through the plastic and damage the water tightness. The frames are hollow.

Handyandy - really

7. panlid

panlid New Member

been reading your book again andy?

8. hosepipe

hosepipe New Member

Well i installed a upvc front door last year,
    and the manufacturers instruction that came with it, said " there is a 10 mm trimming surplus around all sides of frame" so trim i did, with my electric plainer and all is well!!!!

:)

9. Jim

Jim Guest

What problem?

10. Jim

Jim Guest

A Lintol is the concrete or steel beam over the door or window opening, that supports the wall above.
    In a really old house it may be a timber such as oak etc.
    DO NOT try to cut, plane or trim the lintel unless you want a collapse of the wall!

i WAS joking you know, just never seen it spelt with an `o` before :)

11. panlid

panlid New Member

jim i knew, it was kai who didnt get your humour.
    and it was very funny wasnt it?

12. owen

owen New Member

You shouldn't really cut or plane a upvc
    pre-fabricated door or frame. It is all part of the
    structure and strength of the system.
    Also, you might just cut through the plastic and
    damage the water tightness. The frames are hollow.

Handyandy - really

Three points:
    1) DO you really think that the 5mm lip around the edge significantly affects the strength of a frame that is (or should) not be bearing any load?
    2) If you are likely to plane all the way through a upvc frame you shouldn't be allowed out on your own, let alone let loose with power tools
    3) How do you propose you fit a window in a gap that is 5mm too small? Throw it away and order a new window?