Prep required for tiling?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Callisto236, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Callisto236

Callisto236 New Member

i have just removed the bathroom wall tiles and this has left the walls in a complete state, so I'm going to have the walls (block and plaster walls) skimmed to provide a nice flat surface to tile on, the question I have is, what do I do after the walls are skimmed, do I prime the walls where the tiles are going?

If anyone could give me a step by step guide that would be great along with product to use at each stage.

Many thanks in advance.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Depends on size of tile and adhesive used. If large format tiles/potcelIn then def use bagged cement based adhesive as tubbed won't dry out properly. You'll def need to use a tile primer or Sbr. With smaller tiles, you can get away with ready mixed tubbed adhesive. You don't need to prime the walls with this but still advisable.
    Either way, I generally prime with Sbr regardless and use cement based bagged adhesive. Just does a better job IMO.

Callisto236 likes this.
  3. Callisto236

Callisto236 New Member

Tiles are going to be 20x20 ceramic. So does this mean sbr primer on the area I want to tile and then I can use tubbed adhesive?
    I'm not going to be tiling the whole reskimmed area,I'm going to be careful but what would happen if I had to paint on top of a small primed area I.e. The edges of the tiles? Would it be better to prime just inside 1 or 2 cm where the tiles are going?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You don't have to prime with tubbed adhesive, but recommend it. Work out your layout and then prime to that. Don't worry if it goes s bit over...you'll still be able to paint over it.

Callisto236 likes this.
  5. Callisto236

Callisto236 New Member

Thank you, my bathroom renovation is turning out to be a lot more involved than I thought, thank goodness for the helpful people on the screwfix forum.
    I'll no doubt be posting again with what seems like a daft question to you all.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Give it a mist coat with emulsion, I would. Just to seal the plaster.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep, a lot of work doing a bathroom refurb and there's no daft questions, so post away :)

8. Callisto236

Callisto236 New Member

So is that a mist coat before sealing with sbr or after? I thought the sbr sealed the plaster? I'm getting confused. I know I have to mist coat the bare plaster before painting. It's the whole before tiling order to do things that's giving me issues.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sbr where you're tiling, mist coat where painting. Mark where your tiles area finishes, then must coat down to this. Don't worry if it overlaps a bit then Sbr. Tile, then paint. Do your ceiling first though.