prepping a metal garage door

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lel, May 30, 2016.

1. Lel

Lel New Member

Good afternoon
    I hope someone can kindly advise me on the best way to go about this. My metal garage door has flaking paint and has not been painted in 30 years. (since new). Last year I bought a Hammerite Primer and garage door paint but didn't get round to painting.

a hammerite products.jpg
    I have started to rub down the door and include a photo of the state it is at present. My question is would I be advised to rub all the paint off and if so is there a chemical way of doing it rather than sanding. I have been sanding by hand thus far.
    semi sanded garage door2.jpg
    I have a Black and Decker sandstorm but would need to buy the right kind of sand paper for it.

Grateful for advice. BTW the door will be painted green in the end.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the door aluminium?

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Unlikely, more likely to be galvanized steel.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. Lel

Lel New Member

It looks like galvanised steel to me.

6. Lel

Lel New Member

I do not have any rust but do need to know if I need to remove all paint. Some of it sanded of easily but some doesn't want to be sanded. So I have a sort of uneven canvas - the "blue/grey" base is completely smooth so the cream patches do feel slightly different at their edges when they abut the blue/grey base.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The reason I asked if it is aluminium is a sensible question as it is possible,;) it may be as I could see no rust on a 30 year old garage door! Test it with a magnet!

Lel likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Aluminium or Galvanised can be primed with 2 coats of Zinsser Bullseye 123 and finished with 2 coats of Barn Paint (limited colours available) or Dulux Metalshield is another choice, you may find the Hammerite paint difficult to maintain a wet edge while applying.

When preparing go carefully not to damage the galvanised protection.

9. Lel

Lel New Member

Good idea! Tested with magnet which adhered to the door = so galvanised steel methinks. I already have the Hammerite materials as my photos show, so don't really want to splash out on other paints. Do I need to remove all the existing paint though? What sort of brush should I use with my Hammerite?

10. Lel

Lel New Member

11. Phil the Paver

None, thin the paint out a little and use a quality gloss roller with tapered edges.

ken5330146k.jpg

Looks like this.

Lel likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apply with a 4" roller and lay off with a 2 1/2" brush. You may have to use a mohair roller as the solvents in Hammerite may melt the foam in a gloss roller.:eek:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Lel and CGN like this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the Hammerite is a 250ml size that's not enough paint for the top coat:eek:!

Lel likes this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

...but make sure the sun has subsided before painting :)

Lel and Astramax like this.
  15. Phil the Paver

Yes, made that mistake painting Rustoleum on a large metal panel that had sat in the sun, bloody paint was drying upon contact, a proper mess ensued. :p:p:p:p

Lel and CGN like this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good advice, as the door will be as hot as a domestic radiator otherwise.

Lel and CGN like this.
  17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Reminds me when My grandad was teaching me to arc weld and we'd do various bits of fabrication then I'd paint straight after while the metal was still ****** hot! Great for angle iron...but not for a flat panel :)

18. Lel

Lel New Member

Thanks to all of you. It really makes a difference to get some advice and I appreciate it. My skills are more linguistic - speak 3 languages well and another two less so. I was planning to do it on a cloudy day as I know sun directly on paint ain't the best plan. Glad to know about the roller. I will check this out. My paint is bigger than 250ml. I am used to home décor and iron gates etc but not the dreaded garage door....

19. Lel

Lel New Member

now arc welding is out of my league! As an academic sort of person I now long to do lots of practical things.