Prescription Safety glasses

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Aug 8, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Old age has caught up with me and I have to get reading glasses. Whilst I was at the opticians I was looking at the range of prescription safety specs as I don't want to faff about putting overspecs on and off. I was amazed at how little protection the safety specs actually provided. Most of them had side shields but when you put them on there were gaps top and bottom - enough space for my fingers let alone a stray spec of timber or grinding spark. They had some that were a little better but they had huge thick frames that are so obtrusive they would be a real pain to use when operating machinery.

The only ones I could find that look ok are Norville, Wiley or Equinox

http://www.sportsprescriptionglasses.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27
    http://www.norville.co.uk/acatalog/SJ1203--Bifocal-Reader--1.html

They look unfeasibly cheap £39 upwards anybody had experience of these brands or alternatives ?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also you can claim tax relief on safety specs, same as safety boots etc.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Attached Files:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Starts getting expensive prescription safety specs if you scratch them, I tried them for a while, but now use saftey over specs instead.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wife has over specs for he archaeology digs. She finds that there is a lot of reflection back on the lenses. It may be hat she has vari focal lenses or the quality of the over specs (Vitrex)

Any problems with yours ?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Linky::)

9. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May get a few to try. I received a load of 20% discount vouchers from our host so that may soften the cost :)

KIAB likes this.
  12. Owain

Owain Member

That's because your optician is overpriced.
    Ordinary glasses £25 from Glasses Direct dot com and they sometimes have a BOGOF offer

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(:(

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And guess what "Not available for delivery" and not stocked in any Screwfix stores in Wales :(

have to find another source

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't you can order them for store collection:confused:,ordered some myself, they were sent from Yeovil warehouse to my store via internal transport, took 24 hours before I could collect them.

Poke Screwfix Pete, in 'Screwfix Counters' he will sort you out.:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  16. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

If I'm doing any grinding I prefer a pair of goggles rather than glasses,there's always one spark that seems to find it's way into my eye.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use a pair when grinding & touch wood, no sparks have found their way in so far.:)

18. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Order them by phone & have them delivered to your local store, that's how I just recently purchased mine from our host.....

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

5 months on , Don't you think I would have resolved it by now :rolleyes:

20. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Well.........

I was wondering if you had.....lol