Pressure Ratio for Thermostatic Mixer Shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris12321, May 22, 2017.

1. Chris12321

Chris12321 New Member

Hello all,

The water supply to my bathroom consists of a low pressure gravity fed system for hot water and high pressure cold water from the rising mains.

With this in mind would a thermostatic mixer shower be suitable for this setup. I am concerned that the large differences in pressure between the hot and cold water supply will result in the two streams of water being unable to mix at a decent flowrate.

Are there any rules of thumb rules or simple tests i can conduct to identify whether such an installation would work. Due to noise I am reluctant to install a booster pump on the hot water system

Thanks for your responses in advance.

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

They will need to be at the same pressure.
    A shower pump would normally be the best solution for a situation like yours. Perhaps an electric shower just off the rising main would work for you?
    You could try a pressure reducing valve just on the cold but wouldn't recommend it

BES do a pressure equalising valve which may work
    https://www.bes.co.uk/water-pressure-equalising-valve-16711

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

you must take a dedicated feed from the cold water storage tank ( in the loft ,I assume ) to the mixer cold inlet.this will give you balanced pressure. trying any other way to mix mains cold and gravity hot is very likely to not work .if the storage tank is just above the height of the shower head you will have a poor pressure ,which is why people then have a pump fitted.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You can have a single pump on the hot side - one which broadly matches the pressure of the incoming supply. Mine is installed that way and works fine - call Stuart Turner for their advice on which pump to use.