Price for a re-wire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jun 27, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

What do you think is a fair price for a re-wire for a 6 bedroom house.

Older type of house that's stuck in the 70s, lived in but only just moved in so more boxes to shift than furniture, however everywhere is carpeted.

Basement - big room and bathroom, hall.
    Ground floor, 2 reception rooms, big dining room, big kitchen - fitted so a ballache to re-wire.
    1st floor, 4 Bedrooms, 1 ensuite, main bathroom
    2nd floor 2 bedrooms and cupboard
    Submain needed to garage (10M or so) and re-wire garage
    Couple of outside lights

Basic stuff, 3 or 4 sockets per room, 1 centre light, fans in bathrooms, smoke/heat alarms, all white plastic, no aerials and no alarm.

So its a big 3 storey victorian type semi detached house with a cellar what would be a ball park figure for re-wiring this place, I recon 2-3 weeks for 2 people.

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

So you know how long it will take and what the materials required are but cannot work out a price???

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Why no alarm?, just one telly it will be protecting will probably cost four times+ the amount of outlay to protect it and the rest of the contents o_O

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I'd be looking for 3500 but different prices down south I would expect

5. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

very rough but I've got a figure of around £6200- £6800. supply, fit, certificate and notify.

Risteard likes this.
  6. peter palmer

I can work the price out, it seems the customer cant. I put £5500 in and didn't hear a dicky bird.

As for the Tvs and alarm I'm sure I would probably end up doing them, it makes sense to do it whilst its like it is however if you put these in your original quote you will never get the job. Everyone else will quote these as an extra.

7. peter palmer

4 Levels and big rooms, 2nd fixing 3 sockets is the same amount of time in any size room, however with large rooms you have to take up twice the length of floorboards and drill twice as many joists using twice as much cable, its here the job is either lost or won.

I would want £3500 to wire a standard occupied 4 bedroom house without having to run a submain across a garden and then wire a garage (maybe should have said the garage was detached).

oop north by the way.

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Isn't £5.5K only just about the labour price for 2 people for 3 weeks? Where are you based?

9. peter palmer

Manchester, I recon about £800 or so in materials, and £4000 wages plus a contingency, hopefully do it in 2 weeks if all goes to plan.

10. Sparkielev

I'm moving to Kent

11. nffc

nffc Active Member

Based on your labour and materials I come out at £9800. 2 men @ £600 per day = £9000 + £800 materials.

12. nffc

nffc Active Member

That works out at £90 a day labour for each man????

leesparkykent likes this.
  13. peter palmer

£300 per day per man, its nearly half that up here. Do you get regular work?

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had some work from done from an electrician and his day rate was £300.

15. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Tender YOUR price that you need to keep afloat after business costs, if you do not get it, move on thats business

16. peter palmer

I was just gauging whether £5.5K was a fair price or could they think I was having them over.

17. nffc

nffc Active Member

Do you not want to have a profit left over after you pay yourself?

18. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

£6,500 + £1,500 refundable retainer (to cover extra work and material cost varibles) and thats with out seeing it (i price up size up jobs order materials etc on behalf of a spark)

19. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

and then £1,500 for the garage with £500 refundable retainer (as all jobs are done as per building price)

20. Sparkielev

Generally around 150 a day but it wouldn't take me 3 weeks depending on job I tend to earn more than 150 a day