Price guide and recommendations for new GCH/HW system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dan_m2k, Feb 22, 2017.

1. dan_m2k

dan_m2k Member

I'm about to move into an extended end of terrace, currently 4 bed 1 bath and one of the first jobs is to add an en-suite with shower, and possibly a downstairs utility with W/C. I'll also want to add rads into the extension as the didn't bother adding them.

The property was built 1977 has an an ancient boiler, looks circa 1980 to me and a similar vintage hot water tank in the bathroom and decent rads throughout.

I'm seeking advice - does the system below look like it'll do the job, and are my costs in the right ballpark?

As I'm wanting to drive two showers simultaneously, etc, I'm thinking of replacing the system with the following and relocating the boiler across the room to the new utility room alongside the tank.

Megaflo CL250HE
    Baxi Megaflo System HE 28kw
    3 new rads
    Controller (can't decide which - Hive or the Honeywell equivalent)

I get parts to about £2400, with another couple of hundred quid for pipes and fittings etc, I'm expecting to pay £3000 - £3500 -- does this sound realistic with labour on top?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Vaillant ecotec plus 624 is another good system boiler worth looking at.
    Ideal for a 3-4 bed house with around 8-10 radiators.

Or Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 630 System Boiler if a larger 4 bed house with 12 radiators plus.
    And a 7 year warranty if fitted by a Vaillant Advance installer.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. dan_m2k

dan_m2k Member

Thanks for the advice, only ever specified Worcester boilers in previous places and the Baxi was the boiler recommendation in the Megaflo brochure. I'll take a look at valliant.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm pretty sure quite few on here would also recommend Valliant,easy to service,had various models twenty years or so at all my places, never had one break down,my present 824 combi is nine years old,it was poorly at Christmas with a blocked HW heat exchanger,it's first new part since new,to be expected in a hard water area.

Do fit a magnetic filter like a Magnaclen Pro 2 to the CH system, will collect any crud,also makes it easier to add inhibitor to a system.

5. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I'm not a fan of Megaflow cylinders. If budget isn't a consideration then go ACV, otherwise I like Joules.

For boilers I fit Intergas pretty much exclusively. (Megaflow and Baxi are the same company which is why the recommend fitting together).

You will need to make you sure you have a decent incoming pressure and flow rate on you cold mains.

6. dan_m2k

dan_m2k Member

Thanks, any words of advice against the Megaflo? And do you have a link to the ACV or Joules models you'd recommend ? Thanks in advance.