Price of retile.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Ro55_Th0ms0n, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

I am currently looking at the cost of ripping out my old bathroom tiles and having it retiled. The room is 16 m2 for walls and 4 m2 for the floor. I have had 2 quotes so far one of £500 from someone recommended as a good tiler by a friend, and another o £1200!, can anyone give me some guidance on the price range I should be looking at for this?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It depends.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I agree.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Price for removing old tiles???

If so this could cause untold damage to the walls, this then would require repair before retiling.

What tiles are you wanting to put back, £500.00 could be enough just to cover the cost of ???

5. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

At the moment it's porcelain tiles on the walls. Which have been dot dabbed on, and the walls were not in great shape when they done them. It will be porcelain tiles going back on, which are 600 by 300. The 500 quote is for the full job removing old tiles taking out tiles sink etc, retiling and replacing toilet Sink radiator etc it jut sounds very very cheap to me which concerns me a little. I should mention I stay in Glasgow too

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  6. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

£500 for all that?

Did he have a horse.

You just cannot tell as to wot prep work will be needed before any new tiles can go anywhere near. 600x300 porcelain tiles are heavy, if the wrong prep is done, then you risk the lot crashing down.

7. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Ask the guy , who's offering to do it for a monkey , if he can show you pic's of his work . Not all guys are robbin bar stewards .

8. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Is the tiler a plumber too. Cost of tiles, edgings, adhesive and grout could be £500. Is it to be a new basin, toilet and radiator. Full rip out and prep walls could be £200. Re Tile £300. Fit basin, toilet, radiator £150.

9. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

Well I'm supplying the tiles myself, those are £700. He is supplying edgings, grout and adhesive. The bathroom suite is all going to be the same it is only the tiles that are being changed nothing else. So the 500 quote he has given is for removing and replacing the tiles, as well as taking toilet/radiator out where necessary.

10. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

It could take 5 mins to take of the tiles.

Or 5 days. Then it depends on the state of the walls after??

Then you need to check the weight of a metre of tiles, and then add about 5/6kg for adhesive/grout.

Skimmed plaster can only take 20kg per metre.