Price on fitting 3 sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jiten, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi guys

I've had a few calls in regards to fitting in plug sockets. The customer said he would provide sockets and that the plaster had been taken off the wall, so everything was good too go. I took into consideration that I would still need to channel in a back box X3 and also have metal channeling to protect the wire. This room is a small bedroom, which only has one socket. In Order to add an additional 3 I would have to extend the ring main. This would mean lifting floor boards etc, on the other had I could have used a 13a spur, but I choose to extend the ring main to avoid any problems.

So considering all materials needed minus the sockets and all the work involved I said I would charge £55 per point. When it comes to sockets a lot of customers seem to think it's cheap and easy to do... so when it comes to additional sockets, I'm not being able to close the deal with the price I offer.

I'm in the West Midlands by the way, I'm hoping you guys could give me some kind of guidance if my pricing is too much.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just a DIYer here, but my guess is people think the job is easy and expect a low price...in fact it is more involved as you describe and I think £55 per point is fair enough. But then I understand what's involved. Once you start having to lift floor boards and route cables, you never know what you'll find.

They'll probably go for a low ball offer then get a shoddy job, with someone running extension cables along the skirting...

3. Jiten

Jiten Member

I think that is the case, to be in accordance with regs there has to be a certain level of work. I think some customers do not know what is involved...

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

there are to ways to go with this.

a) state clearly what you've assumed in your quote: channeling, floorboard etc and wait till the customer says, no i'll do that or

b) submit the quote assuming no channeling required and no floorboards lifting, with a reduced price. when he say " you've got the job, then clarify on the extras and vary your price ( by then he wont go back to others and change his mind so add a bit of fat in the price)

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

£55 (fifty five pounds) cash per point seems to be a very fair price indeed.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Sometimes depending on customer it worth coming down a bit, as you say sockets in same room so only small runs would take me about an 1 half hours max even £120 ain't bad and onto next job

7. PhilB

PhilB New Member

Of course you are also factoring in your time to carry out testing and certification as necessary, being an alteration to a circuit and all that...

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Only minor works and how long would that take a competent Sparkie like I said 1 half hours max

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

''The room is a bedroom with only one socket'' the 3 new sockets are to be kept in the ring final supplying the one socket and others. One leg might be entail doing stuff out of the bedroom unless you bodge with a joint box.

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

The electrician I use on refurbs and kitchen fitting works on £60 per socket including materials, that would include chasing out etc (I would make good walls),
    that's in Cornwall.

11. Jiten

Jiten Member

Thanks guys

The information has given me a good insight, from know on I'll explain what's involved and give other alternatives to the customer.

unphased and Sparkielev like this.
  12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Move 2 sockets on stud wall to match bed width and replace a light switch. 2 hours work. £280...materials was £20 tops I guess.. That was what a customer I was working for was charged. I was skimming and repairing holes in stud wall and I got £190 for a day and a half. Made me think about my prices. I think your £55 is very fair.

Jiten likes this.