Price question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by neibick76, Mar 4, 2017.

1. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Of to do a quote tomorrow. The lady wants 3 door casings removed and new installed with doors 3 rooms for new skirting and archives . Last joiner quoted to muchshe said i am thinking £120 a door inc removal and fit of casing and £50 a room for skirting..

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How does she know what "too much" is? Don't undersell yourself just to get the job, 50 pound per room for skirting, are you gripfilling or plug and screw? Does she expect all fixing holes filled, rubbish removed etc? Perhaps the other bloke charged accurately and she wants a cheap job? Supply and fit?

3. neibick76

neibick76 Member

All depend how the skirts take i normally grip fil and drill. I will leave all the old stuff with her and remove mine. I normally fill all the holes with a bit of chalk.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How long do you think it will take you including going to source all the materials?

5. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Full day maybe 2 i guess for 3 rooms skirting and 3 doors with casing
    I would say £360 for doors and £200 for the skirts and arcs.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Provided you're not supplying anything, my money's on it being a full two days. If she's moaned about the other carpenters quote, be careful she's not one of these that turns around at the end and says "£560!!! You were only here two days," or any of that shiite.

KIAB likes this.
  7. neibick76

neibick76 Member

I know what your saying. See how it goes tomorrow. Like you say not going to under sell my self. Ppl cant expect to do all that for a few hundread

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don't forget that there may be making good with plasterwork after removing linings.

9. neibick76

neibick76 Member

I will be telling her this that it could damage the plaster work.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Could take almost a day with setting up, removing archs, existing doors and linings, making up new linings, and fitting them in plumb...then making good any plaster. That then leaves 3 doors and furniture to fit and archs and skirting. Factor in tidying up, filling nail/screw heads and caulking, could easily go over 2 days.

neibick76 likes this.
  11. neibick76

neibick76 Member

I will quote her for the full job. Cant plaster so that will have to be a plaster come in.
    Need to go on a crash course of some sort. Always left that to that trade..

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Easifill mate. Patching is almost a pleasure now.....

KIAB, neibick76 and CGN like this.
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

B
    Beat me to it Jord ;)

14. Doall

Doall Active Member

I charge £5 a meter on fitting skirting £100 on door Lining with architrave and £50 on door hanging all labour only

neibick76 likes this.
  15. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Is the house carpeted? Full of furniture? Does the customer really know what they want?

16. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Just had a new laminate dloor down and want the skirts putting in now. Yes i guess she does know

17. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

floor protection. these days a dust sheet wont do for some folk.

18. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Ey we are on about a quote not floor protection

19. I haven't done any door casings for ages, so I would be slow, not sure of your speed for that price.

But if you do a room of skirting for £50 to a good standard, then you can do mine. Not many rooms will take less than 2 hours if you include preperation, access and tidying up. And that is only £25 an hour

Then allow for a mistake or 2.

20. neibick76

neibick76 Member

So is that to cheap