Primer for hardwood sills

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jun 12, 2016.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    I've got a couple of external hardwood sills to paint (when it stops raining)
    Paint is flaking off down to bare wood so needs a good prep before painting but, the timber is rock solid so all good

Is it worth using an aluminium primer first to seal the hardwood, the sills are donkeys years old so not sure if any resin in the timber will still be a problem

Will more than likely paint with Dulux Weathersheild, undercoat and topcoat......But which primer ?

Many thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you are using the Weathershield system why not use the preservative primer (part 1 of the 3 part flexable paint system) or failing that Zinsser BIN.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Astra and many thanks for the speedy reply - especially on a Sunday morning !

Yep did realise that the Weathersheild is a 3 part system and have used before, but on softwood
    Couldn't find any info on the primer though and if it was suitable for hardwood as well

As an aside;
    When I've painted new softwood, I've always used a knotting solution to prevent bleed through on the topcoat, then primed, undercoated, topcoated

With really knotty wood, does it make more sense to just knot/prime all in one go with the BIN - that's the red tin, shellac based I believe ?

Thanks again

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good question Dave....If it was a really knotty wood I think I would use BIN, if just a few knots then spot prime the knots with BIN followed over with the preservative primer once dry. Can't see any reason why Dulux would not have taken hardwoods into consideration when developing the preservative primer. Does say in blurb 'Suitable for all types of bare wood'!

Yes the 'RED TIN'.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016