Pro Combi HE over heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Alan1961, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Alan1961

Alan1961 New Member

I've a problem with a Pro Combi.  It will not continue to produce hot water, it fires up and then as it reaches 60 degrees cuts out, runs cold then fires up again.  It looks like the gas flame is not modulating.  I've changed the DHW thermistor and the Primary thermistor with no success.  The fault seems to be present on both DHW and the CH circuit.  Has anyone on hear experienced this problem?  If so what was the solution?  I was next going to replace the gas valve and if that didn't work the PCB.  Has anyone got any suggestions before I take this drastic action.

Thanks

Alan

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Yeah, call out a qualified Gassafe engineer who knows what he is doing! It will be a lot cheaper than throwing parts at it! :)

3. Alan1961

Alan1961 New Member

And were might I find one of those.  I've already had one engineer looking blankly at it (at £90.00 per hour) until I pointed out what the fault seemed to be :(

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Contact the manufacturer. They will tell you who is qualified to repair your boiler in your area. Just because someone is qualified in installations does not mean they are qualified in repairs. :)

5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Sounds like the heat is not getting away from the boiler and the most likely cause is a blocked plate to plate heat exchanger with a faulty pump coming in at #2
           I don't think that it's any of the faults you mention.

PS I don't suppose this is worth 5pts is it?

6. bob_shaw

bob_shaw Member

Don't buy those things ask your friends to reccomend a decent engineer. To be honest it sounds like the water isn't circulating (But not because of a blocked plate heat exchanger as this would not effect CH mode). Make sure you have pressure, the rads are bled. then i'd be looking at the pump. but seriously though get an engineer.  or tell the last bugger who charged £90 to come back and do it properly or give you the money back.

7. Alan1961

Alan1961 New Member

We've now tried all of the above and we still have the problem :'(  Many Thanks for the suggestions.

Heat exchangers have been taken out and Sonic Cleaned by British Gas Engineers, all Thermistors and the pump have been replaced.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks

Alan

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

British Gas! Those useless, overchargiung cowboys!

Geta  decent engineer to look at it! Baxi will get someone organised for you!

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

The pump would be the usual suspect. British Gas "engineers" are well known for being incompetant. Get Baxi Heateam out:

http://www.heateam.co.uk/

10. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Bit of a long shot here for you Al. You mention the pumps been replaced.. could it have been fitted the wrong way round .. it's been known many times before and the piece fits perfectly into the jigsaw of problems that you are having. If not do Like Cpt' says you're going to have to get someone in. It's all a bit of a shot in the dark (fault diagnosis over a forum). Good luck, Tappy,

11. Donald Payne

Donald Payne New Member

Hello Alan1961, can you (or anyone) tell me if you solved this problem, because this is exactly the symptoms of our ProCombi 100 HE: everything works fine except running a bath. Many thanks, Don.

12. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Yes as discussed previously call in the manufacturer

13. Coolflowian

Coolflowian New Member

So if any did call the manufacturer up (ideal) I belive, what did they say or replace. Did you all get them fixed.