Problem with a floorboard

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Mar 17, 2017.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

Could someone tell me the best way to fix my floorboards

I had a floorboard that wasn't nailed down so it would squeak and it wouldn't sit flush so I tried to screw it down but I hit a pipe :oops: so I decided to remove the floorboard to see what I could do but there's a water pipe under the edge of the floorboard and the pipe is higher then the joist.
    The only way I can think of is using a wider board but it needs to be wider than 5" so the board can be screwed down but this would mean I will have to cut the floorboard next to it but would 2 or 3 inches be strong enough if it was at the door.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could you make floor board concave on the underside where it comes into contact with the pipe.

Quite easy if you have a router with dish cutter or similar.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pic required... o_O

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Several suitable cutters rebate or bottom trim would also cut a channel.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you have a circular saw, you may be able to cut a "V" in the underside of the board by tilting the blade and cutting from alternate ends.

To give the board a more support screw some battens either side and then screw into these

6. lemonade

lemonade Member

I don't have a camera to upload a picture so I tried doing it on paint how it looks.
    The black lines are floorboards then the single red line is a gas pipe and the two red lines are hot and cold water pipes.
    Where the two red lines are the pipe closest to the edge of the right floorboard is a hot water pipe and this is the one that's higher than the joist so I thought about cutting a grove out in the underside of the board but this would still mean the board wasn't wide enough to screw down to the joist. If I was able to screw a piece of 38x63mm or 38x89mm cls timber to the side of the joist would the floorboard be strong enough just resting on the cls timber.

Pipes under floorboards.jpg

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

8. Is the pipe clipped into place holding it there? Any movement in the pipe? Are any joints close ?

I would want to get the pipe lower or moved and then look at the floorboard issue

9. lemonade

lemonade Member

The pipes are not clipped to the joists but in one places the pipe is resting on the joist so I cannot push down on the pipe even though I wouldn't as I don't want to stress the pipe

10. Pollowick

So, as I said before, remove some of the joist from under the pipe and then put safe plates above.

11. lemonade

lemonade Member

That would mean
    I don't know if that would work as the pipe is tight and pushing down on the pipe will put to much stress on it.

12. Pollowick

If it is that tight with no flex then you have other issues. If needed take a sliver out from the two or three joists either side.

You have to get the pipe down below joist level. Who put it there initially? and why?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might ended redoing pipework.:rolleyes:

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Might not get enough play on the pipework especially when its soldered even by notching out.

I always try to notch in center of floorboard run.

Also label the floorboard to identity there is a pipe underneath.

Joe95 likes this.
  15. lemonade

lemonade Member

I'm guessing the council put the pipe down when the house was built. You cannot get to all the pipe so the only option is to cut the underside of the board and screw pieces of wood to the joists but I'm not sure if this will be strong enough.

16. If the pipe is too high to stop the floorboard sitting down correctly, sort the problem not the issue it causes.

Once the pipework, and the problem is sorted you can then address the securing of the floorboard issue. I don't think the floorboard will be a problem to make secure once you know what you have for support.

Sorting the floorboard and not the pipework will be only a temporary bodge at best. And you will always worry about the pressure being put on the pipe by the floorboard. Every time somebody comes to your house and stands in that spot, or kids jump on it etc.

Three Phazed likes this.
  17. lemonade

lemonade Member

I don't want to move the pipe myself as it's a council house and I'm guessing if I had the council out they would only cut the underside of the board but then how would they screw the board down.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. 8" floorboard!

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sobered up then :p:p

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah yeah yeah but what kinda screws man .........:eek:

Deleted member 164349 likes this.