Problem with landing light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alvin, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And is the red from the circuit in L1 and linked to L1 in the other switch? Likewise the black from the circuit in L2 and linked to L2 of other switch?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. Alvin

Alvin New Member

Yes they are. I thought it might be a problem in the junction box?

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Alvin - how are confirming all this mate? With the continuity tester on the meter? Have you tested the switches for functionality too?

5. Alvin

Alvin New Member

Yes, I used the meter and all the cables are ok. The switches are both new. I don't know how to test them.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Alvin it is very simple. 2-way switches always confuse DIYers because they focus on colours of cables instead of where the connections go. If it was all working correctly before you touched it then look at the items you touched because you have got it wrong. You seem to be having an attitude problem with your responses as though YOU'VE done nothing wrong. Its so simple and you can't sort it out. :) In one of your posts you said there was two wires in each terminal in the landing switch. So what has happend to the sixth wire if you now only have five? You sound a bit of a plonker.

7. Alvin

Alvin New Member

I was wrong about the six wires, there were only five. To you this may be simple but not to me or to the qualified electrician who I paid to try and sort it. I don't believe I have had an attitude, I have followed all the advice given and wired everything as told. Other people on here have been helpful to a complete novice whereas you seem to think anyone who does not have your knowledge is beneath you.

8. Alvin

Alvin New Member

OK, I've located the junction box and it is wired correctly according to diagrams I've found on here and the live etc are correct. Can anyone tell me how to test if the switches are working correctly?

JP. likes this.
  9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I think you need to go back to basics and look at the diagrams supplied (including mine!) and understand how two way switching works. Then disconnect all wires to the switches and turn off the mains to the lights at least and test the continuity of each wire with a long black negative lead (bell wire will do) and a 1.5 volt torch bulb and an AA battery. This will need an assistant to be at one end whilst you are at the other. When the bulb lights up on each wire mark it with paper label with a consecutive number on it at each end . If the switches are new they are extremely unlikely to be faulty. If another wire is looped in to either L1 or L2 this will be disclosed as spare in the above test. Otherwise you will not have sorted this out by Christmas.

10. Alvin

Alvin New Member

Hi Paul, I have already done that, tested every wire and reconnected as in the diagrams, this is driving me crazy. I know it is unlikley the switches are faulty but is there a way to test them just in case?

11. PaulBlackpool

Use the same bulb and battery as a power source . Connect 3 wires between L1,L2 & Comm from one switch to the other ( L1 to L1 ,L2 to L2 and Comm to Comm). .The negative on the battery goes directly to negative on the bulb. The positive on the battery goes to L1 on one of the switches and the switched live wire goes from L2 on that switch to the positive on the bulb. It would help if you had a battery holder and a bulb holder. You then should have two way switching.
    As has been said photographs might have been helpful and I am surprised your electrician gave up so easily as you have said that it was working before you changed a bulb. Incidentally I can't see how changing a bulb can alter the wiring!

12. Alvin

Alvin New Member

Thanks Paul, I will get some more wire and a bulb etc tomorrow and try it

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Check the switches using the multi meter, do a continuity test, switches the switch on and off should break the continuity altering the reading on the multi meter.

14. PaulBlackpool

I don't know why you have a junction box. The old method of wiring lighting was I think that the single black negative wires were looped in from ceiling rose to ceiling rose as they were and still are not switched. The single red positive wires were looped in from switch to switch to L1 and a switched live taken from Comm in a 1 way switch to the ceiling rose. Modern wiring has both the positive and negative wires looped in in the ceiling rose and a single T & E cable going down to the switch , the brown being positive and the blue with a brown sleeve being the switched live. Which system does your house have?
    The fact that a junction box has so lately appeared in the equation and has been wired correctly ( you believe) brings into play endless permutations that your problem may well be insoluble on a forum where everybody is at a distance with no photos and no idea what wires might have been connected to this junction box. This is a case I feel that should be left to an qualified electrician on site with a full set of test gear.

FatHands likes this.
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Look, COM is the switch pivot. COM either connects to L1 or L2 depending on switch up or switch down. Forget junction boxes and what goes where. Figure out where the connected wires are going and you will get there. There is another way of wiring a two-way where the feed is taken to COM on one switch, strappers link L1s and L2s on each switch and then the switch live goes from COM on the second switch to the light fitting. Trace the wires.

C rad likes this.
  16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Put some fecking photos up!

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a live in the switch-live connector at the rose!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

That would then upset all the other lights on that radial as well in some form.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The OP says he has changed the light fitting and both switches so its clearly installer error on any one of those three items. The number of times we see "I haven't altered anything I put the wires back exactly as they were".

seneca likes this.
  20. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

what's the old adage about pictures and words.....