Problem with Makita mitre saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by joinerjohn1, Apr 23, 2015.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Wondering if anyone can help me as this is doing my head in. When my saw is set at a 90 degrees cut, it cuts perfectly square and straight up n down. However, if I'm doing a 45 degree cut, it won't make the cut straight down. (always seems to be a few degrees off vertical). I've checked that the back fence is 90 deg to the table and all parts of the machine are tightened correctly, yet it still cuts slightly off vertical with 45 deg cuts. Any suggestions please.

Been doing a load of skirting recently and resorted to making a mitre box and cutting external mitres by hand.

2. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Could be a wee build up of dust JJ , had the same problem with mine, few weeks ago.

FatHands likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Which Makita mitre saw.

On my Makita there were two adjusting bolts on the slide rail body one for left, one for right angle,to enable you to adjust 45°bevel angle either way if it was out of true.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wonder it the mount/bench whatever is attached to, is lifting at one end with the extra weight/leverage when tilted?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Yeah got the same on my 'Evolution', didn't notice until cutting skirting and had to mess about with the screws...

6. joinerjohn1

Hardly ,, It's not fixed to anything. The base is an integral part of the machine.

7. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Did u get it sorted mate ?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Perhaps then, the base is slightly twisting when weight is at one side. Only takes a tad, I'm sure ?
    Only throwing ideas at ya.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. joinerjohn1

Being as I only posted this today, I haven't had time to even look at it. ;);)

10. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I expect it might be something like this: The blade is cutting off angle at 45 deg because it is not swivelling in a level position across the fence/base, and is sort of swooping down and coming back up. Which you won't notice at 90 deg. So the whole blade and motor is either set forward or back from level. If its possible to adjust this, then I expect it would only be one screw to adjust.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Due to illness, my Makita mitre saw had been sat on the workbench unused for several months.
    When I came to use it, it was cutting a few degrees out at 45 degrees, yet before illness it was cutting perfect,yet no one could tell me why it had suddenly gone out of true.
    A quick tweak of the adjusting screw sorted the problem.